Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Weird electrical issue (possibly alternator?)

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 07:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird electrical issue (possibly alternator?)

A few weeks ago one day randomly my radio wouldn't come on for about a couple days. That was the only symptom, until after a couple of days without the radio working, the car wouldn't start. Jumped it, drove it to O'Reilly's to have the battery tested, and I think I remember he said the voltage was fine but the amperage was low or something, and the tester said bad battery and he assumed a cell had gone out.

Replaced the battery, radio and everything worked fine. Fast forward to a couple days ago. The radio quit turning on again. And just like last time, today the car is completely dead (haven't used it for a couple days). No lights come on, heck the car is so dead the automatic door lock/unlock switch doesn't work.

Other symptoms (I don't know if related):
-- (I find this one conspicuous) the car never starts on the first key turn when warm (seems to start on first turn when cold), usually have to turn it over 2-3 times. When it does start it sputters for a second before the engine starts idling steadily.

- I don't notice it any more, but back several months ago I'd notice the headlights dim sometimes. I haven't really looked to notice it in a while though

- Replaced the driver window motor recently after it burned out and now I get a pretty terrible, loud noise when rolling it up now. Don't really use it often, and passenger window works fine (probably unrelated, but just want to include anything)

- Radio is aftermarket, been there for almost a year. Speakers also aftermarket Kee Audio

- I believe the voltage gauge has always read 13V +

Last edited by transamguy91; 09-03-2013 at 09:57 AM.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update:

After work had a buddy jump the car (it was still completely dead). Everything started up and worked like a charm, and the battery started charging again.

This morning it started but the idle was pretty intermittent. Wiggled the battery cables a little and it ran fine. Such a strange problem. Especially the head unit not getting power, unless perhaps the head unit is the only thing ran through the battery or something and the battery cables aren't making a clean connection for some odd reason (not corroded though).
Old 09-04-2013, 01:02 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 281 Likes on 244 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Are you sure your battery cables are clean and secure (tight with no grease, corrosion, etc.)? Many of the symptoms you describe are commonly associated with bad battery terminal connections.
Old 09-07-2013, 11:49 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have this exact issue with my 2001 ss. My problem also started with the radio just going out. It sits in the garage because it is too hot to take it out right now.

Quick Reply: Weird electrical issue (possibly alternator?)