Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Rewire ignition accessory switch 2002 Trans Am

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 01:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rewire ignition accessory switch 2002 Trans Am

I have a 2002 Trans Am, and the ignition switch has something going on where I cant get to accessory while turning the key, and I cant get to the setting where just the stereo turns on. It is all just very loose filling, no clicks, basically feels like the switch might be bad? I also have this Kenwood deck in my car

And it takes forever to turn on, and is very inconvenient when I turn the car off and on while waiting for anything. So my question is, is it possible to wire the accessory to go through this switch

that my car has but isnt being used, and would it be possible to keep the stereo live instead of flipping off when I have to use the starter?

Also I want to do this so I can reprogram my cars key fob to honk once I lock the car, and I am going to wire it for a push start button soon

Last edited by Anderson0741; 10-22-2013 at 01:32 PM. Reason: Description
Old 10-23-2013, 11:19 PM
On The Tree

Nobody knows?
Old 10-24-2013, 08:44 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 275 Likes on 239 Posts

Probably nobody is interested.

In general, it is best to repair a problem properly rather than using the ghetto method to work around the symptoms. Getting yourself a new ignition cylinder should take care of the problem without costing a fortune.
Old 10-25-2013, 12:16 AM
On The Tree

Thats fine, im mainly just looking for a way to keep the stereos power live while starting it, not going for a "ghetto route". It can be spliced to keep it functioning normal as well
Old 10-25-2013, 08:09 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 275 Likes on 239 Posts

There is no switched circuit anywhere in the car that is live in all of the start, run, accessory, and retained accessory power conditions. So, in order to do what you suggest, you would have to connect your switch to unswitched (battery) power. That leaves you with the distinct possibility that you might forget to switch it off and come back to a car with a dead battery.
Old 10-25-2013, 10:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Anderson0741
Thats fine, im mainly just looking for a way to keep the stereos power live while starting it, not going for a "ghetto route". It can be spliced to keep it functioning normal as well
In a normal functioning vehicle, the radio may keep going when cranking. BUT not always. Realize when you crank the car the voltage will dip as the starter draws a crapton of power. This voltage drop may be dropping below what your Kenwood needs to function, which shuts it off when cranking.

My Pioneer will sometimes stay on when cranking, sometimes won't. Depends.

I agree with Whitebird. Fix it right the first time.
Old 10-25-2013, 10:38 AM
Launching!

You can do this sure. 12v like to the switch and then into the radio. Yea, if you leave the switch on... Dead battery.

I have my fans hooked this way, to run them with the car off for track cooling.

Quick Reply: Rewire ignition accessory switch 2002 Trans Am