Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Air bag light, security light, and brake light?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2013, 01:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Air bag light, security light, and brake light?

I've been trying to chase down why some lights are on my dash but I can't seem to figure them out. My car is a 97 Z28 for reference. One day after cruising, my air bag light came on as I parked and hasn't gone out since. I also have a security light on and my e-brake light doesn't go out when I put the e-brake down. Are they all tied together somehow? Prior to to the air bag light coming on I could arm my security system with my key fob and the red light under the dash pad would blink, but now when I arm it the horn honks like normal, but no light. I do believe the BCM has been replaced before so maybe that has something to do with it. Any ideas?
Old 11-09-2013, 03:36 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

The BCM seems to be everybody's favorite place to look for problems lately. Sorry, of the symptoms you describe, only the security system is connected to the BCM. You have two or three separate problems - the parking brake light is one problem all its own, unrelated to the others. The security light and the airbag light could both be caused by a problem with wires in the steering column or they could also be two independent problems. But the airbag light has nothing to do with arming the alarm system. You will probably have to get out a tester and do some diagnostic tests.
Old 11-09-2013, 04:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Hm, I guess I'll have to hunt under my column for issues. What could be causing the brake light to stay on? I believe I tried manually clicking the switch and nothing changed. I have an aeroforce interceptor gauge and it doesnt pick up any codes for air bags so maybe some wiring is funky.
Old 11-09-2013, 05:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

I might have answered one of my issues. I have ABS, ASR, and cruise control deleted so that might set off the brake light. My VATS is disabled through a tune so idk why my security light is still on. My shock sensor still works too as it lights up when I hit it. Is there any way to verify my air bag module thats below the center console is functioning?
Old 11-10-2013, 07:25 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 349 Likes on 319 Posts

The brake light thing is common and probably due to dirty/corroded contacts on the switch at the base of your parking brake handle.

If you can hunt down a full featured scanner, you can have the SES system scanned. It might have a stored code that would point to why your air bag light came on.
Old 11-10-2013, 03:06 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

The security light is most certainly a VATS issue - the question is where is the specific fault. It is not possible to completely disable VATS with a tune or any form of programming. VATS is in the BCM which is not programmable. A tune can make the PCM ignore the lack of a fuel enable signal from the BCM but it can't do anything about the starter relay override handled entirely by the BCM nor can it disable the security light which is also completely controlled by the BCM. The only way to disable VATS is with a resistor bypass.

The security light is indicating either that the BCM sees a key pellet resistor but doesn't recognize the value or that it has detected a fault in the system. That could be something as simple as grime on the key pellet and/or in the ignition cylinder. Try cleaning the key with a pencil eraser followed by rubbing alcohol and then use some electronic contact cleaner spray from Radio Shack and a pipe cleaner to clean the contacts in the ignition cylinder.
Old 11-10-2013, 06:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
The security light is most certainly a VATS issue - the question is where is the specific fault. It is not possible to completely disable VATS with a tune or any form of programming. VATS is in the BCM which is not programmable. A tune can make the PCM ignore the lack of a fuel enable signal from the BCM but it can't do anything about the starter relay override handled entirely by the BCM nor can it disable the security light which is also completely controlled by the BCM. The only way to disable VATS is with a resistor bypass.

The security light is indicating either that the BCM sees a key pellet resistor but doesn't recognize the value or that it has detected a fault in the system. That could be something as simple as grime on the key pellet and/or in the ignition cylinder. Try cleaning the key with a pencil eraser followed by rubbing alcohol and then use some electronic contact cleaner spray from Radio Shack and a pipe cleaner to clean the contacts in the ignition cylinder.
The issue with me cleaning the key is that my car is swapped with a whole 97 car (minus the steering column), so the pellets wouldn't match the BCM, the car did have a resistor bypass but it was a really poor job. And I had the issue with the radio and windows cutting out so I replaced my BCM with another one from the junk yard. So I'm not sure there's much I can do, unless I can somehow find the resistor value the BCM looks for from the junkyard car and put a new one in there.
Old 11-10-2013, 07:55 PM
Formally Simplɘ Jack

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting info on the Security light, I've had mine on for about a year now. I got used to it but do want it resolved, don't want my car to not turn on some day.

Quick Reply: Air bag light, security light, and brake light?