Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

subwoofer on/off switch wiring? w/pics

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 10:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Zlow28
I flipped the toggle switch and its working properly now. I didnt know the terminal sides would matter on a on/off toggle switch. The amp now turns on and off along with the headunit.

So now i can turn the amp off with the switch, killing the power to the sub, OR, i can just lower the bass level if i get an amp with a bass **** in it.

Thanks for the help guys.

@danile richards, do you have a part # for the battery accessory screw you posted earlier? I couldnt find it anywhere.
I just picked one at random via a google search, I bought mine at Advance just told them I needed the terminal for the battery that lets you add things. if your advance auto guys are halfway decent then they'll know what you need.
Old 11-19-2013, 10:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

gotcha, ill go ask them to see what i can get. Thanks
Old 11-26-2013, 01:13 PM
TECH Addict

I got a new problem. My sub arrived yesterday and i went head and installed it, but it only hits when i turn the balance on the headunit to one direction. If i leave it in the center, you can still tell the bass has power, but you can hardly hear it bump.

I also replaced all my wiring with a 4 gauge install kit.

Anyone know what i should check?

The amp is a kicker 11dx1000.1 and the subwoofer is a swr-10d4
Old 11-26-2013, 01:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I got a new problem. My sub arrived yesterday and i went head and installed it, but it only hits when i turn the balance on the headunit to one direction. If i leave it in the center, you can still tell the bass has power, but you can hardly hear it bump.

I also replaced all my wiring with a 4 gauge install kit.

Anyone know what i should check?

The amp is a kicker 11dx1000.1 and the subwoofer is a swr-10d4
Check the wiring on the sub and the head unit and make sure its not wired backwards.
Old 11-26-2013, 01:53 PM
TECH Addict

Besides the rca line and sub wires, is there anything else i couldve wired backwards? I already flipped both of those and i get the same results.
Old 11-26-2013, 04:07 PM
TECH Addict

whats you HU? subs should ideally be run off of a NON-fading dedicated subwoofer output, not just on the rear RCA outs. are you saying that like if you turn the balance all the way left you get good bass then its less but still there and when faded all the way right it goes away completely (right and left can be swapped out in this example) or that it gets week when in the middle but fading either direction gives you bass?

also don't flip your sub speaker wires, make sure negative out at the amp is going to the negative on the sub and the same for the positive.
Old 11-26-2013, 09:33 PM
TECH Addict

Ill check what head unit i have once i get home from work. Its some sort of pioneer iirc.

The sub hits normal when i move the balance to the left or right. The farther away from the middle, the louder it hits. But then i also only get volume on one side. When its centered, the volume sounds good, but you can barely hear the sub. Im adjusting the balance from the headunit.

I tried wiring both parallel and in series and i get the same results.
Old 11-27-2013, 12:00 AM
TECH Addict

My headunit is a pioneer deh-p5200hd. Ive also tried fading the sound to the rear speakers, and that also increases the power on the sub. Im guessing thats a band aid fix though, since i dont remember having to adjust my balance or fade on other systems.
Old 11-27-2013, 03:44 AM
TECH Addict

OK, first we need to make sure several settings are properly configured.

1. Make sure RCA's are connected to the inner set (white/red closest to the middle) not the outer set, based on your comments I believe this is how it sits but please confirm.

2. With the key in the on position (so the radio will turn on, no need to crank the car) press and hold the source button till the radio turns off, now press and hold the volume (M.C.) button till a menu come up on screen and using the MC (by turning) scroll to "SW Control" and select it by pressing the MC. By default both of these settings (Rear SP and Preout) are set to Rear SP:Full and Preout:Rear you need to change Preout to be SUBW but leave Rear SP as Full. while in these menus you can turn on/off several different things and set your clock if you wish, when done press the Source button to turn the radio back on.

3. Now that the Rear/SW RCA is set for subwoofer you will now have a subwoofer on/off setting in your audio menu, turn it on to Normal, this will give you a second subwoofer setting where you can choose the LPF setting (choices are 50, 63, 80, 100 and 125) and adjust subwoofer level between +6 and -24 (I typically go 125Hz and 0).

at this point your subs will no longer be affected by balance or fade, let us know if it is still acting weird.

I needed the model number to look up some of this, my pioneer has a dedicated set of subwoofer RCA's instead of being switchable like yours.

also if your a monsoon system leave the HPF setting in your headunit turned off or you will lose the bass from your sail panel subs, if your non-monsoon and the doors and sails get signal from the HU directly (no amp in between) then turn it on and I usually set it to the same 125 that the sub LPF is set to so frequencies below that point go to the sub and frequencies above it go to the doors/sails, it probably wouldn't hurt to go lower on the HPF but I wouldn't go to low or you will get distortion in the speakers, but again this part only applies to NON-monsoon systems.

FYI, with the exception of a few days I have used nothing but Pioneer radios for over 10 years now so i'm fairly familiar with most of the hidden menus, but these days they have re-arranged alot of it since they went to that stupid MC button, the older models had larger LCD's.

Last edited by Daniel Richards; 11-27-2013 at 03:58 AM.
Old 11-27-2013, 03:11 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks for the info. Ill try it once i get home.

As for the rca cables, are you referring to the back of the head unit?
My amp only has input (red/white) and output (red/white).
Old 11-27-2013, 04:08 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks for the info. Ill try it once i get home.

As for the rca cables, are you referring to the back of the head unit?
My amp only has input (red/white) and output (red/white).
yes, the hueadunit. on the back you have 2 sets of RCA outputs. The FRONT rca set is the one closest to the corner of the HU and the other set, which is the Rear/SW set is on the inside, see attached picture.
Attached Thumbnails subwoofer on/off switch wiring? w/pics-deh-p5200hd_back_large.jpg  
Old 11-27-2013, 07:22 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks man, the rca was connected in the right spot, so i went into step 2 and 3 and now its working perfectly. I had no idea it would be on the headunit settings.

I can fade the sound forward or back and the sub will still change, but it hits pefect in the middle. However, the balance wont affect it anymore. Only the sound moves, but not the bass.

Hits, pretty hard!

Quick Reply: subwoofer on/off switch wiring? w/pics