Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

10 speakers or 4 speakers?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 01:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 10 speakers or 4 speakers?

I have a 93 Trans Am and I'm looking to buy some new speakers and there's an option on Crutchfield for 4 and 10 speakers. How do I know which one I have?
Old 01-08-2014, 03:19 PM
TECH Addict

if you check the monsoon FAQ you can find the location of the factory amp, if you have one then you are monsoon and should choose the 10 speaker, if there is no amp then you are the 4 speaker. Being a T/A you will most likely be monsoon.
Old 01-08-2014, 04:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I can't find an amp but my car seems to have 3 places to put speakers on each side, including a tweeter.

The monsoon faq needs a picture of the location.

Last edited by ShovelMan; 01-08-2014 at 04:20 PM.
Old 01-08-2014, 04:47 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ShovelMan
I can't find an amp but my car seems to have 3 places to put speakers on each side, including a tweeter.

Inside the spare cover right above spare and slightly forward. Its a black plastic box with lots of wires going into it.
Old 01-08-2014, 07:40 PM
TECH Addict

OK, if the plastic interior panel you have to remove to get to the spare tire has a speaker grille and/or a speaker in it then you most likely are monsoon (unless the panels where swapped from another car), also check the driver door tag (refer to the FAQ) for whatever code it is that indicates monsoon.
Old 01-08-2014, 07:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Checked my RPO and it says Monsoon. Head unit says monsoon. Lemme check the behind the tire once more. It might be super hidden or something.

The plastic interior trim panel on the inside DOES have speakers in them
Old 01-08-2014, 08:16 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 278 Likes on 242 Posts

Guys, guys... A '93 Firebird will NOT have a Monsoon system - they weren't available until '97.

Your RPO could not say Monsoon since it did not exist in '93. The '93 Firebirds had one of two audio systems - the base 4-speaker system had only a head unit and full range speakers in the doors and sail panels. The optional 10-speaker system was similar to the Monsoon in that it had 10 speaker elements including components in the doors, subs in the sail panels and components in the hatch area and an external amp. However, unlike Monsoon systems, the older system had an amp that powered only the sail panel subs and was mounted behind the right sail trim panel below the sub there (next to the rear seat cushion). As Daniel said, the easiest way to tell is by whether you have speakers in the hatch area - only the 10-speaker system (and the later Monsoon) had those speakers.

BTW, there IS a photo of the Monsoon amp location in the Monsoon FAQ sticky. There isn't a photo of the older system amp.
Old 01-08-2014, 08:41 PM
TECH Addict

^^^^^^^^^ learn something new everyday, did not know that about the monsoon not existing till 97, I know vaguely about a Bose setup that was available on early 4th gens as I've seen people talk about it here.
Old 01-09-2014, 01:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

My mistake then. What component is responsible for the loud bass in my car and where is it located?
Old 01-09-2014, 01:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Guys, guys... A '93 Firebird will NOT have a Monsoon system - they weren't available until '97.
So thats why my 93 formula had better sound than my 98. Didn't know that.

Originally Posted by Daniel Richards
^^^^^^^^^ learn something new everyday, did not know that about the monsoon not existing till 97, I know vaguely about a Bose setup that was available on early 4th gens as I've seen people talk about it here.
Yeah I had a 96 V6 camaro that had the bose.
Old 01-09-2014, 07:32 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by Daniel Richards
Just FYI...

93-96 Camaros had two audio systems available. The base system was just like in Firebirds... a standard head unit powering four full-range speakers located in the doors and sail panels. The sail panel speakers were 10-ohm to reduce the power output so that the sound stage was more forward, although GM liked to claim that they were "extended range" speakers.

The premium audio system in 93-96 Camaros was a Bose system which consisted of a special head unit connected to either three or five (depending on model) unique speakers with integrated amplifiers.

93-96 Firebirds had the same base 4-speaker system and the premium 10-speaker system.

97-02 Camaros and Firebirds also had two audio systems - the base 4-speaker system and the premium Monsoon system. The Camaro Monsoon was different from the Firebird version in several ways that are described in detail in the Monsoon FAQ sticky.
Old 01-09-2014, 07:35 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

My mistake then. What component is responsible for the loud bass in my car and where is it located?
The two sail panel subs provide most of the bass although the component speakers in the doors also provide some. The sail panel subs are the only speakers powered by the amp.
Old 01-23-2014, 05:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
The two sail panel subs provide most of the bass although the component speakers in the doors also provide some. The sail panel subs are the only speakers powered by the amp.
Stupid question but where's the sail panel?
Old 01-23-2014, 07:35 PM
Teching In

The sail panels are the two large panels right behind the front seats, and right next to the rear seats, on the sides of the car. When you're sitting in the back, the sail panels are what have the subwoofers that sit right next to you, about chest-level.
Old 01-24-2014, 08:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FastWS6-LS1
The sail panels are the two large panels right behind the front seats, and right next to the rear seats, on the sides of the car. When you're sitting in the back, the sail panels are what have the subwoofers that sit right next to you, about chest-level.
I replaced those on my Firechicken (v6) and the bass sorta went down. No matter how much bass I put in with my Aftermarket HU, it still sounds trebly or crackly. I bought some Alpine's I think.

The V8 (my current car with that nice setup) has all speakers, mostly factory. Some are going out but still have more bass than the firechicken. I should look into subs for my car then. Thank you
Old 01-24-2014, 08:59 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Chances are that you replaced the sail panel subs with ordinary coaxial speakers. This will result in loss of bass and often loss of overall sound quality because the full-range coaxial speakers are just not designed to handle the bass only signal sent to the sail panels by the amplifier. You could recover the original sound by replacing those speakers with subs such as the Bazookas sold by our sponsors Kee Audio and Double D Mods. The Bazookas are fairly inexpensive and well matched to the older premium 10-speaker system as well as the newer Monsoon system.
Old 01-24-2014, 10:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

What type of speakers does Kee and Double D sell? I know there's different types such as components and...that's all I konw
Old 01-27-2014, 01:46 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Both sponsors sell complete speaker kits top replace all locations in a Monsoon system or premium system as well as individual speakers for select locations - subs for the sail panels, components for the doors, etc.

The Bazookas are dual voice coil subs for the sail panels that are a very good replacement for the factory speakers there.
Old 01-27-2014, 07:17 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Or, they also sell the CDT subs that are said to be better than the bazookas. I'll be ordering an upgrade kit in a few weeks. I made the mistake of throwing full range speakers in my sails and I hate it.
Old 01-28-2014, 06:57 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by Mongoose350
Or, they also sell the CDT subs that are said to be better than the bazookas. I'll be ordering an upgrade kit in a few weeks. I made the mistake of throwing full range speakers in my sails and I hate it.
Very true. They sell a whole range of speakers for all needs from simple replacement (Bazookas) to significant upgrades (CDT, etc.). You're only limited by your budget but I assumed that the OP was looking for something inexpensive since he'd already bought speakers that didn't match the system well.

Quick Reply: 10 speakers or 4 speakers?