Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

4x6" Speakers in Firebird/Camaro Hatch Area?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2014, 11:06 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4x6" Speakers in Firebird/Camaro Hatch Area?

I'm replacing the stock component speakers in my 1999 Trans Am (4" mid and 2" tweeter). I'm going to replace the factory amp, wiring and head unit so wiring isn't the issue.

I wanna know what speakers would physically fit best in the stock hatch panels with the least amount of cutting/drilling.

Logically I came up with the 4x6 because a 4" mid and a 2" tweeter would make a 4x6" hole. Has anyone ever replaced the speakers and could you post pics? Thanks
Old 02-03-2014, 02:51 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The speakers in the hatch are separate speakers. Most people when they get replacements only get a 4" coaxial type and don't bother hooking the tweeter back up. They are riveted in. One rivet holds in the black tweeter and two rivets hold in the 4" speaker. Simply drill them out and twist the speaker out. Twist the new speaker in and drill holes in the other two plastic tabs without rivets and secure the speaker will some small screws & nuts.

Not like I'm a super audio nut, but if you're ditching everything from the factory, you likely won't need the hatch speakers. Whatever components you put in the doors and subs in sail panels/trunk will more than overpower any hatch speakers, especially if you're using an aftermarket amp or two. Most people utilize the factory amp/wiring and just replace the head unit and speakers. That's what I did and it sounds great. I got my speakers from Kee Audio, a sponsor here.
Old 04-05-2014, 02:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to

How can I replace the monsoon amplifier with an alpine hu power pack without rewiring or as little rewiring as possible?
Old 04-06-2014, 07:47 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

Welcome to LS1tech!

Everything you need to know is here:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...nsoon-faq.html

Quick Reply: 4x6" Speakers in Firebird/Camaro Hatch Area?