Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

OK to get a amp+speakers, but keep Monsoon ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2004, 10:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question OK to get a amp+speakers, but keep Monsoon ?

Hi,

I've read the 2 stickies on top, and since I have my front speakers gone south, I was thinking on doing what was suggested on those threads... but then, the mod-thinking took over.
I got thinking that with a new unit and new speakers should be even better and not to worry about the 2 vs 4 ohms issues.
Then, got the idea of keeping the Monsoon, just get the signal and make it go though an amp and from there to the speakers. Should be nice and sharp, save the $ of the HU, and spend it on the amp, while retaining stock look and get to keep steering controls.

Anyone done it ?
Any ideas/suggestions ?

I've always loved Alpine and want great speakers... which you recommend ?
I'm not getting any sub, though... don't like subs. (Sorry) rather have nice clear sound and no thumb-thumb.
Plus, my car is a convertible.
Old 05-12-2004, 07:42 AM
On The Tree

get an amp and some Focal components for up front.
Old 05-13-2004, 03:11 PM
Teching In

I retained the Monsoon and added on a amp/sub. I used a device that I attached to the speaker wires on the back of the head unit. You feed two channels in and get two channels out (RCA) plus the remote wire for the amp. I then built a box and put in to Sony Xplod 10's and an Alpine V12 amp. I was going for looks as much as sound, but it still pounds. I put in new speakers including the factory 2 OHM subs. I got them warrantied and got an upgrade to a newwer style which sounded way better.
Attached Thumbnails OK to get a amp+speakers, but keep Monsoon ?-267044_11.jpg  
Old 05-14-2004, 11:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cjacks7
get an amp and some Focal components for up front.
something like this:
front: Alpine SPX-177A
rear: ?!?!?!?
amp: Alpine MRV-F340
Any comments, ideas, suggestions.
Thanks.
Old 05-19-2004, 01:20 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by FourthGenSS
I used a device that I attached to the speaker wires on the back of the head unit. You feed two channels in and get two channels out (RCA) plus the remote wire for the amp.
do you have any details on this device?

Thanks

Graham
Old 05-19-2004, 07:27 AM
Teching In

PAC OEM 1
http://www.autotoys.com/x/cust/produ...&cat=96&page=1
with a AOEM-GM21C add on harness. The GM21C mates to your harness and the OEM1. Gives you 2 sets of RCA outputs F/R.
http://www.pac-audio.com/app_guide/oem1kit.pdf
All plug and play. No cutting required.
Old 05-19-2004, 10:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have 2 new fosgate 4 channel 6.5"'s in the front, kept the stock mids, cuz im poor... and bought the new 4 channel 3 1/2 " Alpines in the back. I also bought a 12" Stage2 Fosgate dual coil 8 ohm sub that's powered by some no name amp. Anyways, the speakers were run through stock headunit with stock SPEAKER amp, and they sounded awesome. Took about 30 minutes to install em all. Was a sinch. Trading in my sub for 2 10's though, if anyone has noticed in their SS the glass is too much rebound for the 12 so it cant keep up with some Powerman and Linkin Park stuff :p.

GL on your system man!

Originally Posted by Eugenio_SS
Hi,

I've read the 2 stickies on top, and since I have my front speakers gone south, I was thinking on doing what was suggested on those threads... but then, the mod-thinking took over.
I got thinking that with a new unit and new speakers should be even better and not to worry about the 2 vs 4 ohms issues.
Then, got the idea of keeping the Monsoon, just get the signal and make it go though an amp and from there to the speakers. Should be nice and sharp, save the $ of the HU, and spend it on the amp, while retaining stock look and get to keep steering controls.

Anyone done it ?
Any ideas/suggestions ?

I've always loved Alpine and want great speakers... which you recommend ?
I'm not getting any sub, though... don't like subs. (Sorry) rather have nice clear sound and no thumb-thumb.
Plus, my car is a convertible.