Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Loud Hum in speakers - 1995 Z28 with Bose Factory radio

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 12:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loud Hum in speakers - 1995 Z28 with Bose Factory radio

I have a 1995 Z28 with the factory Bose system. Has been working great since new, but recently when I turn on the unit, it gives a loud hum from all speakers which does not change with speed or volume. Like someone put a DC voltage on all the speakers.

The head unit is functional and can change stations, time, play CD, ect. Just no sound except for a loud hum.

Now, occasionally when I first turn it on, I get the radio for a second, then the hum starts again.

Anyone have any ideas where to start looking? I know it could be a lost ground, or a short somewhere, so hard to find. Does the power amp or speaker amps get power from the head unit? And does the antenna in the back supply ground to the unit?

Any suggestions would be appreciated! I searched for others with the same issue but didn't find anything.

Thanks!
Old 02-22-2014, 01:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First thing is to check for any blown fuses.
Old 02-27-2014, 12:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds like the amp is providing feedback to the speakers, may have an issue with the amp itself.
Old 02-27-2014, 01:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

Radio died. Those cars do not have a single bose main amp each speaker has it's own mini amp mounted to speaker bracket.

We changed out radios all the time years ago for identical failure complaint as yours. could it be something else? always but 9 times out of 10 your failure complaint is identical of multitude of dead radios we've replaced through the years.

You can install a aftermarket radio but have to use a bose interface. Or if you really like the stock radio and the way it sounds and I for one do and did with the bose systems of those years you can pull the radio and take it to a dealer and they can send it back to get it rebuilt but it's 3-450.00 bucks.

Quick Reply: Loud Hum in speakers - 1995 Z28 with Bose Factory radio