Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Problems with headlights

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 01:15 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems with headlights

Okay so i put all new leds in the dash, HVAC, and headlight switch. Well ever since then when i turn on my headlights only my running lights come on along with dash lights and what not, No headlights though. Well my headlights will come on if i turn on my fog light switch but fogs do not come on, and i cannot switch from high beams to low beams, could this be a relay somewhere or what? Im lost guy help me out!!! Thanks in advance!!
Old 03-11-2014, 11:59 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 188 Likes on 142 Posts

I'm thinking something is wrong with the signal/high/low stalk or the wiring going to it. Does it sound normal when you use it?
Old 03-12-2014, 12:21 AM
Staging Lane

Yeah it sounds normal. The high beam light stays on but has even before there problem started. It gets brights when I click on the high beamd but they don't change. Low beams still stay on.
Old 03-12-2014, 07:59 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 352 Likes on 321 Posts

What... did you do to put a LED in the headlight switch? (I didn't think that there was a bulb in the thing. Maybe mine is burned out?)

A wiring issue at that switch could cause all of these problems.
Old 03-12-2014, 09:02 AM
Staging Lane

Yes I did change a bulb in there. Mine was burnt out also lol. The only thing that makes me thinks it has nothing to do with that switch is because I can unplug it and turn on the car and the automatic headlights come on but just running lights. No actual headlights, even with that switch unplugged. Thanks for all the help btw!
Old 03-12-2014, 01:37 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 352 Likes on 321 Posts

The DRL lights are powered by a different circuit, so that doesn't tell you much. The DRL should cut out when it senses you turning on the running lights.
Old 03-12-2014, 01:51 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 278 Likes on 242 Posts

The DRL module (which also controls the automatic headlights) gets power from the fusible link under the hood through the headlight switch. It is not dependent on the switch being functional but it is dependent on the switch being plugged in. Power comes in on the red wire at pin J and is passed back out through the red wire at pin G to the DRL module. That's why you would have no headlights with the switch unplugged.

Quick Reply: Problems with headlights