Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

F-body audio help

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 07:03 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F-body audio help

Ok so i just bought my 2000 Camaro Ss not long ago and and realized very quickly that the sound system sucks. I replaced the factory radio for a Pioneer deck. Still sounded like turd then I realized there was no speakers in the backseat. So I bought some cheaper 6.5 inch Sony speakers and all that comes out of them is bass. All that comes out of the 6.5 inch Pioneer door speakers is the highs. And highs, mids, and bass comes out of the 4.5 inch trunks speakers. Any tips on how to get better sound?
Old 03-19-2014, 07:38 PM

have you checked the wiring from the speakers back to the head unit? Might be that. Also could just be blown speakers.
Old 03-19-2014, 07:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That's how they are on the stock base system, but I would think the after market head unit would allow for 3-way speakers. Are you using stock wiring?
Old 03-20-2014, 07:12 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

Please read the Monsoon FAQ sticky at the top of the section. It will explain why you get only bass from the sail panels (and why you installed the wrong kind of speakers there) and you will be able to figure out that the door speakers are connected to the wrong pair of wires in the doors (hint: there's a pair for the factory tweeters and another pair for the factory mids in each door).
Old 03-20-2014, 07:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Please read the Monsoon FAQ sticky at the top of the section. It will explain why you get only bass from the sail panels (and why you installed the wrong kind of speakers there) and you will be able to figure out that the door speakers are connected to the wrong pair of wires in the doors (hint: there's a pair for the factory tweeters and another pair for the factory mids in each door).
Wouldn't running wires straight from the head unit alleviate his problem? As long as it could support them.
Old 03-20-2014, 08:05 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by Tolley's94z28
Wouldn't running wires straight from the head unit alleviate his problem? As long as it could support them.
Yes, but then you are doing a lot of extra work to end up reducing the amount of power and completely changing the shaping of the sound. The Monsoon amp is not particularly powerful but is very reliable and produces clean output when given a clean input signal (which the factory HU can't do) and it is certainly more power than head unit alone (about 240 watts RMS into eight channels). Plus it filters the signal to each speaker location to shape the sound for the interior of the car. That keeps you from having full-range speakers in the sail panels right behind your ears drawing the sound stage behind you.

If you don't plan to install a completely aftermarket system with amps and at least one sub, the factory Monsoon system (with a decent HU) is the best way to go.
Old 03-20-2014, 08:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I just wish I was blessed with a monsoon system, my stockers sound like poop. This would make it much easier.

Quick Reply: F-body audio help