Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Trans am retractable Antenna Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 04:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Trans am retractable Antenna Question

Hey guys, i have a 2001 trans am, and the antenna is not going up and down. I am familiar with the gears and internals of it but i dont think that is my issue.
When i power up/power down the radio the antenna does not move and the gear/motor does not run but it clicks. Almost sounds like a solenoid clicking on and off? Does anyone has a suggestion or remedy for this? thank you
Old 03-20-2014, 07:37 PM
TECH Addict

this is what you do with that antenna:

Old 03-21-2014, 07:19 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

First check the RADIO ACCY fuse. If that is not blown then proceed to Daniel's step above.

The power antenna has two power sources - battery (constant) power through the RADIO ACCY fuse to actually power the antenna motor and a 12V signal from the radio that controls when to raise and lower. You know the radio is working so the constant power supply is the other possible cause.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:02 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 349 Likes on 319 Posts

If you hear clicking, that should be the pinion gear on the motor slipping over the plastic rack attached to the mast. If that's what it is, then the mast is either gummed up or the rack has broken.

If the former, then there are some things you can try. If the later - see post #2.

GM has been aware of the gumming issue and has a service procedure to rub the mast down with a rag and mineral spirits until the mast operates smoothly. The paint sheds off the mast (not uncommon after a winter of driving on salted roads) and gums up the sections.

This happened to me several times before I shaved off my antenna and adopted WhiteBird's hidden antenna mod. Once the mast starts gumming up, it requires regular cleaning, but it usually got the thing working for me. Two times, I had to replace the mast. (It's available as a part separate from the motor.)
Old 03-21-2014, 10:31 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by wssix99
If you hear clicking, that should be the pinion gear on the motor slipping over the plastic rack attached to the mast. If that's what it is, then the mast is either gummed up or the rack has broken.

If the former, then there are some things you can try. If the later - see post #2.

GM has been aware of the gumming issue and has a service procedure to rub the mast down with a rag and mineral spirits until the mast operates smoothly. The paint sheds off the mast (not uncommon after a winter of driving on salted roads) and gums up the sections.

This happened to me several times before I shaved off my antenna and adopted WhiteBird's hidden antenna mod. Once the mast starts gumming up, it requires regular cleaning, but it usually got the thing working for me. Two times, I had to replace the mast. (It's available as a part separate from the motor.)
would that still be an issue even if i had a friend pulling up on it as i turned the radio on?
Old 03-21-2014, 03:39 PM
Save the manuals!

So you had a friend pull on it and THEN the problem started?
Old 03-21-2014, 04:25 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by wssix99
So you had a friend pull on it and THEN the problem started?
No... i bought the car with the antenna not working, i then checked to see if there was power going to it, there was, i then pulled/pushed it up and down manually to see if the gears and plastic strip were functioning (heard them winding up and down as i manually did that) then while turning it on and off i had a friend help it up as i turned it on and then push it down as i turned it off to see if maybe there was a bind or something but nothing happened. i just clicks like a relay or solenoid. was wondering if anyone has dealt with this before i buy a new unit and that not be the issue
Old 03-21-2014, 07:35 PM
Save the manuals!

Many people have had this problem. See post #2 for solution.

If you could do what you did, then the internal strip or something else is broken. (You should not be able to pull the antenna up if the gear was engaged properly.)

You might be able to get the mast out, but odds are that you have broken pieces of the old rack wrapped around the gear, which are very difficult/impossible to get out.

Quick Reply: Trans am retractable Antenna Question