Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

New stereo, stock speaker wires?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 11:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New stereo, stock speaker wires?

installing a new stereo system in my 2002 SS Camaro convertible. The system will include a Pioneer DDin 700XBT with 600 Watt RMS amp powering Kicker speakers. Can I use the original speaker wires or do I need to rewire the speakers? I'm going to rewire the amp power with 8 gauge wires. My system originally had the Monsoon system. THX
Old 04-07-2014, 05:47 AM
On The Tree

You can probably get away with using the stock wire if you think you need to. When I replaced my speakers last fall, I decided to replace the wiring as well since it was 20 years old.
Old 04-07-2014, 07:17 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

You should rewire. The factory wiring is speaker level only and goes to the wrong places. It has four pairs of speaker wire going from the head unit to the Monsoon amp in the right quarter in front of the spare tire and then eight pair going back to the speakers.

You will need RCA cables from your head unit to your amp for the pre-amp signal output and then speaker wire to your speakers. Unless you have a very small amp that will mount where the factory amp sits, you won't be close to using the factory wires. And since you have to run RCAs anyway, do it right and rewire the entire system.
Old 04-09-2014, 08:06 PM

Default Stock Speaker Wires

Greetings! Appreciate the timely recommendation...rewire the car it is! Although I am not real comfortable doing this I am more confident with LS1 backup.

I bought a wire kit that only came with 2 RCAs, so I'm going back to get the full set. Amp doesn't fit where the Monsoon was previously located. Placing the kicker 600W amp on top of the shelf in the trunk, right behind the storage of the rag top...not much depth below the deck...right up against the fuel tank. So...I had to move the placement all the way to the left and to the edge; looks like 3 screws and a pop rivet.

Glad my neighbor mentioned that there were inspection plugs I could remove to check below the deck.

I'm sure Ill be back for more information as I move forward.
Old 04-16-2014, 10:01 PM

OK. Wires are in for the AMP...what a pain running the wires. Ended up running 4 gauge through the car for power and ran new speaker wires. Power up the middle of the car and speakers down their respective sides. All wires were ran in split conduit to protect them. Also fabricated the mount for the double din HU. I'll wire that up tomorrow; includes all wires for the Amp, interface for GM power and grounds as well as steering controls. Not sure how to set up the amp...have infinity reference speakers in front (because I had them) and Kicker in the rear; there will be a different gain setting for these pairs.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:18 AM
Launching!

what do you mean your not sure how to set up the amp are you talking about tuning it or hooking the wires to it ?
Old 04-18-2014, 12:49 AM

Default Got it!

First time I hooked up the amp. My comment was regarding wiring the unit and setting the gain on the channels. Amazing what reading the instructions will do. Just installed the head unit and wired the amp...tomorrow I test it (too late now) It's going to be a good to give prove it's all together so I can button up the interior...totally pulled apart at this point. If I have issues, I'll be back at ya!
Old 04-24-2014, 10:28 AM

Cool Done - wired and functional

Good to go. All wired and functional to include steering wheel controls. Issue now is determining what material/method to use in order to fill in the open sides of the bezel. Any recommendations on material/method of filling in the sides of the bezel?

Quick Reply: New stereo, stock speaker wires?