Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

bypassing the key and ignition. help on the ACC setting.

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 06:43 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

99 TA. i decided to redo my interior, which has led to all custom switches and push start, and some custom fabbed switch panels. long story short, i have everything figured out except the ignition switch. i was going to pull the steering wheel and just look, but i don't have the right size wheel puller. and i figured maybe some one could answer my question before i can figure it out myself. so i already did away with the start position on the ignition and just use my push button from long ago, but had been using the key for ACC on. i no longer want to do that. i want a toggle switch right next to the push button. i have successfully figured out how to toggle it on, but i am afraid to cut the + wire running into the steering column because i don't know what all it powers, as i may loose whatever is up there… turn signals, wipers, ect. so i have found the ACC wire to be the the large pink wire, + is large red, and there is a large brown wire that gets power on from the + wire as well, i was going to merge the brown and pink run them to the toggle, and run the red to the other side of the toggle. but i want to leave the key in the column so i don't have to fiddle with it, i want to keep the steering lock, use it when i please, but leave the key in and on most of the time, but that would mean ACC is on unless i cut this red wire. i seriously doubt a thief will be able to figure out how to start the car, and if he can, hats off to him, he deserves it, he just worked his *** off for it. lol but does anyone know if the brown and red wires are the only ones powered by the red + wire? if so, i would be safe to cut it, if not, which other wires do i need to power? and on what setting? thanks in advanced!

****** Sorry guys its the RUN setting. one click before start.

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 04-26-2014 at 12:40 PM. Reason: Merge consecutive posts
Old 04-21-2014, 02:27 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Subscribed... I want to do a push button start as well someday.
Old 04-26-2014, 06:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok the pink is your ignition not an acc, the orange and or brown are your accessory wires. yellow as you said is start. The large gauge red wire is constant 12 volts that only powers the ignition switch. The wipers turn signals etc are on separate circuits. Cutting the constant 12 volt red wont affect anything other than the power going to the switch. i would personally just leave the wire hot and tape or heat shrink the ends on the other wires to prevent them from going hot when the switch is turned to the on position. keep in mind unless you have bypassed the passlock system you'll be maintaining the factory security as well. I've done this before for customers and never had any problems other than the potential for theft goes up, but you could always wire a relay or alarm system to the start wire coming out of the new pushbutton switch to prevent this.

Quick Reply: bypassing the key and ignition. help on the ACC setting.