Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

trying to solve my parasitic drain on my camaro.

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 11:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Default trying to solve my parasitic drain on my camaro.

Hey guys. I have a multimeter from harbor freight and im trying to fix my parasitic drain issue. Here is my issue. I figured out that I have a drain of 3.6. well seconds later it drops down to 0.05. I check again it goes to 3.6 but falls yet again to 0.05. Im thinking maybe I have a setting on my meter wrong. If someone could look at my meter and tell me if I have mine set up right that would be awesome.

Here is what im working with.http://www.harborfreight.com/ac-dc-d...ter-37772.html

I have the black wire in "COM" and the red wire in "20A max" My setting on the meter is set to "A" with the solid line and the three ticks marks under neath.
I have it set to 20 and 20M and it does the same thing. I would appreciate advise before I lose my crap. There is good info on youtube but not with my meter. Thanks fellas

Ray
Old 06-20-2014, 07:11 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 278 Likes on 242 Posts

You don't mention where you are measuring. You need to disconnect the positive battery cable and then use the tester leads to reconnect power to the car (i.e. put the red meter lead on the positive battery terminal and the black lead to the disconnected battery cable). Then let the car sit for at least 10 minutes until the BCM goes to sleep. Then you can check the current reading. It should only be milliamps. If it's more, start pulling fuses until you see it drop - that's the circuit with the draw.
Old 06-20-2014, 09:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I disconnected the negative battery cable from the battery and check it from there. Would the BCM be the reason why my meter keeps going from 3.6 to 0.05??? Ill check that after work.
Old 06-20-2014, 12:49 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Negative versus positive doesn't really make any difference so you're fine there. Yes, the BCM (and it's related circuits such as retained accessory power, courtesy lights, alarm, etc.) could very well be the reason for the changing reading. Make sure you already have the driver's door open when you start because opening it to get at the fuse panel would make the BCM wake up again.
Old 06-22-2014, 07:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ok think I found my problem. Pulled the radio fuse and it went to .02.. well when I pulled the fuse I found a yellow wire attached to the fuse. I take its to power my a/f gauge.I un-plugged the radio just to make sure it wasnt that. It wasn't sooo that being said what is a good wire I can tap this yellow wire into? Im certain this is my issue but from 0.06 to 0.02 how can that drain my battery in 5 days?

thank you
Old 06-22-2014, 08:51 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

The RADIO fuse (#17) is not hot when the car is off - it is only powered with the ignition in RUN, ACCY, or with retained accessory power - so it could not be the source of a drain. Besides, the amount you're finding is not sufficient to drain a healthy battery in a few days. The key word is healthy. Have you had your battery load tested? Most auto parts stores will test it for free. You may not have a parasitic drain problem at all... it might just be a failing battery.

Quick Reply: trying to solve my parasitic drain on my camaro.