Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Speaker wiring and bullet plug connectors

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2015, 01:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Speaker wiring and bullet plug connectors

I did a search for this but didn't find an answer I was looking for. So here is the dumb question I will ask. I need to get a new set of tweeters for my speakers. I am also taking this opportunity to lay down some new speaker wire for my entire car from my amp to my speakers.

Since I am already going to be replacing my tweeter pods and they do not have any connector on the ends of the wires, is it advisable to use any sort of quick disconnect terminals or specifically the bullet plug style? I say this just in case I have to replace tweeters again and don't want to have to keep cutting wire every time and decrease the length of wire each time. I don't want to have to take my interior apart again to route more speaker wire or add some extra length or whatever.

I am routing 16 AWG speaker wire by the way. So can I use quick disconnects on them (specifically the bullet plug style) or is is a "no-no"? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Old 04-13-2015, 11:02 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 278 Likes on 242 Posts

You can use bullet connectors although I've found that the 2-wire trailer style connectors give a more secure connection:

Quick Reply: Speaker wiring and bullet plug connectors