Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

96 with monsoon?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 11:16 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 with monsoon?

My 96 trans am has an 8 speaker set up with what looks like the monsoon head unit Delco replacement. I thought the monsoon system wasn't available until 98? Any knowledge would be greatly appreciated, as I want the replace the head unit with the correct factory piece.
Old 04-15-2015, 07:11 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

The Monsoon system first became available in 1997. Before that the Firebird had an optional 10-speaker premium audio system that was very similar. The major difference is that the earlier system used its external amplifier only for the sail panel subs - the rest of the speakers were powered by the head unit directly. The location of the amp was different as well... it was mounted behind the right side sail panel trim below the sub (next to the rear seat cushion).

Other than those differences, almost everything that applies to the later Monsoon system also applies to the earlier premium 10-speaker system. The same speaker and head unit options are available. In fact, like the Monsoon system, the head unit in the 10-speaker system is just an ordinary Delco unit like the ones that GM installed by the millions across their entire product line. Apart from the factory appearance, the only thing those Delco head units do well is produce distortion. Almost any aftermarket head unit will be a noticeable improvement.
Old 04-15-2015, 09:30 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see, thank you. I know this sounds crazy but I want to replace all my factory speakers with brand new, 100watt speakers all the way around, and run an amp to power the whole system. Any suggestions on brands?
Old 04-16-2015, 07:17 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

First suggestion is to read some of the countless threads about audio system replacements you can find in this section. Get some ideas of the possibilities and then determine more precisely what you're looking to accomplish and how much you want to spend. Different people have different ideas of what they want in a sound system. Some want huge bass and lots of power. Others want accurate reproduction and clean sound with power being only a secondary consideration. The type of music you like will have a big impact on the configuration that will best suit your needs. Don't just start with a power number (like 100 watts) because there are many speakers that can handle that power level but sound completely different from each other.

Once you have a more defined idea of what you're looking to accomplish and what your budget will be, start a new thread to ask for specific brand recommendations that match those needs. For example, some people love Infinity speakers because of their crisp and pronounced high frequencies while others hate them because those highs can be piercing ("they make my ears bleed" is a common comment).

But one major consideration is that you will have to get rid of the factory head unit if you want both power and clarity. If you really want to keep it to maintain the factory appearance then you might as well forget using an aftermarket amp and just buy some good replacement speakers matched to the factory system - our sponsors Kee Audio and Double D Mods can get you set up with the right stuff.

Quick Reply: 96 with monsoon?