Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Radio/key fob question.

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 03:50 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Radio/key fob question.

If I get an aftermarket radio, (probably pioneer) will it mess up the signal from my key fob to my car? I had a Bluetooth device that let me listen to the music on my phone through my radio, all I had to do was sync up the stations, and it completely messed upy key fob... Wondering if installing a new radio would do the same.
Old 04-30-2015, 07:23 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

It makes no difference whether you use a factory head unit or an aftermarket one. Your Bluetooth device is merely a small FM transmitter that transmits your phone audio to a selected FM frequency for your radio. If it messed up keyless entry with the factory radio then it will still do so with an aftermarket radio because the FM transmission is not the cause of the problem and the radio is not even connected to the keyless entry system.
Old 04-30-2015, 09:10 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
It makes no difference whether you use a factory head unit or an aftermarket one. Your Bluetooth device is merely a small FM transmitter that transmits your phone audio to a selected FM frequency for your radio. If it messed up keyless entry with the factory radio then it will still do so with an aftermarket radio because the FM transmission is not the cause of the problem and the radio is not even connected to the keyless entry system.
I just figured that the signal responded through the radio signal because you have to pull the radio fuse to program the keyless remote. If that's not the case then could you explain to me why my key fob disables every time I plug that god forsaken thing into the cigarette lighter?
Old 04-30-2015, 11:12 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

The RADIO fuse is on the Retained Accessory Power (RAP) circuit from the BCM so it is already an output there. GM merely added a loop from that circuit back to the BCM to act as a "program mode" trigger. The radio itself is not involved.

I suspect that it's the Bluetooth transceiver in the device that is causing the problem. Either that or it's just really cheaply built and you are experiencing RF leakage interference.
Old 04-30-2015, 11:25 AM
On The Tree

The RADIO fuse is on the Retained Accessory Power (RAP) circuit from the BCM so it is already an output there. GM merely added a loop from that circuit back to the BCM to act as a "program mode" trigger. The radio itself is not involved.

I suspect that it's the Bluetooth transceiver in the device that is causing the problem. Either that or it's just really cheaply built and you are experiencing RF leakage interference.
More than likely it's leakage bc this thing is CHEAP! Lol I just opted out and now I'm about to get a double din so I'll try the bluetooth on that and if it doesn't work I'll have the aux option also. Thanks, I actually understand how that works now.
Old 04-30-2015, 11:28 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

You shouldn't have any trouble if you stick to a name brand like Kenwood, Pioneer, Alpine, etc. I had both a Pioneer AVIC and a Kenwood DNX in mine (I liked the Kenwood better) and never had any trouble with Bluetooth or keyless entry with either of them.
Old 04-30-2015, 11:34 AM
On The Tree

You shouldn't have any trouble if you stick to a name brand like Kenwood, Pioneer, Alpine, etc. I had both a Pioneer AVIC and a Kenwood DNX in mine (I liked the Kenwood better) and never had any trouble with Bluetooth or keyless entry with either of them.
What model number was your kenwood? I'd like to look it up because I was thinking the pioneer AVH-X2600BT but if I like the kenwood better I might get it instead
Old 04-30-2015, 11:48 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

I should clarify... I preferred the Kenwood DNX-5120 because the navigation was from Garmin and because it had Sirius connectivity. The Pioneer AVIC-D3 had a proprietary navigation system that didn't seem to work as well and it had XM connectivity.

If I was buying a non-navigation unit like the one you mention, I might actually prefer the Pioneer because it has more options for audio control and they have the best FM receivers on the market. And now that Sirius and XM are the same company, the different satellite tuners don't matter anymore.
Old 04-30-2015, 07:22 PM
On The Tree

I should clarify... I preferred the Kenwood DNX-5120 because the navigation was from Garmin and because it had Sirius connectivity. The Pioneer AVIC-D3 had a proprietary navigation system that didn't seem to work as well and it had XM connectivity.

If I was buying a non-navigation unit like the one you mention, I might actually prefer the Pioneer because it has more options for audio control and they have the best FM receivers on the market. And now that Sirius and XM are the same company, the different satellite tuners don't matter anymore.
Oh alright. Yea I use my phone (if needed) for navigation. My dad has a kenwood and loves it but it's a single DIN for his truck. Thanks for your help!

Quick Reply: Radio/key fob question.