Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Why did my fog lights suddenly stop working?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2015, 11:55 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why did my fog lights suddenly stop working?

Yesterday while driving I noticed my fog lights were not working. however, when unlocking and locking my car, they light up. I replaced the relay under the hood and nothing. Any ideas? Im new to LS1 Tech so any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 09-23-2015, 04:02 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 352 Likes on 321 Posts

Probably time to test the switch on the dash. It's known to go bad, from time to time.

Moving to Stereo & Electronics.
Old 09-23-2015, 04:18 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 188 Likes on 142 Posts

The fog lights only blink with lock when the switch is in the "ON" position so that's probably not it.
Old 09-23-2015, 04:43 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ya I did test the on and off and they do blink when it's on, and don't when it's off. I was wondering if it could be a bad ground somewhere?
Old 09-23-2015, 09:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Parking lights have to be on for the fogs to turn on. This apparently works as when it flashes the parking lights when you unlock the fogs flash.

If the high beams are on then the fogs turn off.

Are you low and high beams functioning properly? Turn on the headlights, lows on, and look at the front. Make sure you don't have a high beam on even partially, as a backfeed on one side from a bad ground someplace could cause it to not turn on the fogs due to the high beam fog light disable.
Old 09-24-2015, 08:30 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 352 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by VIP1
The fog lights only blink with lock when the switch is in the "ON" position so that's probably not it.
I was thinking about a problem with the headlight/parking light switch that feeds the fog light switch.

I don't have the schematics with me this week, but recall that the switch gets power from another source when the locks are activated.

Quick Reply: Why did my fog lights suddenly stop working?