Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Headlights on no matter what

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2017, 02:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Headlights on no matter what

I'll apologize as I'm sure somewhere this has been addressed, but on my 2001 Camaro is there a way to setup my head/tail lighting to only be on when I move the headlight switch to on position? Everything comes headlights and taillights no matter what and no sure why that is maybe the previous owner setup something to make it this way. I can select fog lights on or off but can't anything else. But either way I'd love to get it so I have to manually select if I want headlights on or not.

Thanks Everyone
Old 02-11-2017, 01:10 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

You mean your headlights are on even in bright daylight without the switch being in the ON position? That sounds like something has gone wrong with the light sensor in the dash. It is either disconnected, broken or something has damaged the wires.

If that is the case then it's fairly easy to fix. Pull out your radio and behind it you will see a black box about the size of a pack of cigarettes mounted to the defroster duct. That's the Daytime Running Light (DRL) module. It has two connector plugs - the one you want is the blue one. The two wires you need are the light green with black and the yellow with black. Simply connect those two wires together to make the DRL module think it's always daylight and never turn on the headlights. They will still work manually from the switch, they just won't turn on automatically. The easiest way to connect the two wires together is to crimp a ScotchLock connector across them.
Old 02-11-2017, 05:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
You mean your headlights are on even in bright daylight without the switch being in the ON position? That sounds like something has gone wrong with the light sensor in the dash. It is either disconnected, broken or something has damaged the wires.

If that is the case then it's fairly easy to fix. Pull out your radio and behind it you will see a black box about the size of a pack of cigarettes mounted to the defroster duct. That's the Daytime Running Light (DRL) module. It has two connector plugs - the one you want is the blue one. The two wires you need are the light green with black and the yellow with black. Simply connect those two wires together to make the DRL module think it's always daylight and never turn on the headlights. They will still work manually from the switch, they just won't turn on automatically. The easiest way to connect the two wires together is to crimp a ScotchLock connector across them.
Awesome thank you, yes I looked and the sensor is missing on the dash.

Quick Reply: Headlights on no matter what