Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Turn Signal Flasher for Switchbacks

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2021 | 08:16 AM
Ungrounded Moderator
20 Year Member

Go back and double (triple) check your wiring. I suspect you connected the wrong end of the brown wire to power. You need to cut the brown wire near the front light socket on both sides and connect the end that goes to the lamp to an ignition controlled power source. The end of the brown wires that go into the wiring harness toward the car must be insulated to prevent shorting out. The unused Firebird headlight door fuses are constant (battery) power not ignition controlled.
Old 12-07-2021 | 03:03 PM
Teching In

So I ran 1 wire right off the passenger side parking light “big bulb” and ran that straight to my fuse box and used the trans-am light fuse so now it works fine but if my headlights are off during the day i get the 2 green lights on the dash if not everything works fine

Old 12-07-2021 | 04:43 PM
Ungrounded Moderator
20 Year Member

Did you cut the brown wire near the front lamp or did you just splice into it? If you spliced into it you will be introducing electrical current into circuits which you shouldn't. And please tell me you have not connected the side marker light in any way... it is not involved in this modification and will cause electrical current to back feed into the headlight/parking light circuit.

The modification, when done exactly as described, will not cause any side effects like you are experiencing so you need to go back and look at your wiring.
The following users liked this post:
eb110americana (12-07-2021)
Old 12-07-2021 | 08:52 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Did you cut the brown wire near the front lamp or did you just splice into it? If you spliced into it you will be introducing electrical current into circuits which you shouldn't. And please tell me you have not connected the side marker light in any way... it is not involved in this modification and will cause electrical current to back feed into the headlight/parking light circuit.

The modification, when done exactly as described, will not cause any side effects like you are experiencing so you need to go back and look at your wiring.
I cut the brown wire in half right off the lamp added my power wire from fuse box and soldered everything back together so 3 wires on that brown wire now 2 existing ends and mine
Old 12-08-2021 | 08:39 AM
Ungrounded Moderator
20 Year Member

I'm not following how you have three ends. Here is a diagram of how the wiring should be on each side. If yours is not like this then you should change it to match the diagram. Note that the side marker light IS NOT included in this setup.

Wiring switchback LED bulbs in front T/S lamp.
Old 12-08-2021 | 03:14 PM
Teching In

I'm not following how you have three ends. Here is a diagram of how the wiring should be on each side. If yours is not like this then you should change it to match the diagram. Note that the side marker light IS NOT included in this setup.

Wiring switchback LED bulbs in front T/S lamp.
Yeah so i had it like that at first but only 1 side lit up i’m guessing u gotta run a wire off each side then toe those 2 in togethrr
Old 12-08-2021 | 03:37 PM
Ungrounded Moderator
20 Year Member

Yes, each side must be wired separately (although they can share the same ignition switched power source of course).
Old 12-12-2021 | 04:48 PM
Teching In

Yes, each side must be wired separately (although they can share the same ignition switched power source of course).
Hey so I just fixed my wires so on driver side i got my ignition switched wire coming straight off the brown wire on the parking light and ran that wire to the other side put them together and ran them back to my fuse with ignition switch and I am still having the same issue with them not cutting on during the daytime and the hazzard light being on if I turn the headlights on everything works as should
Old 12-13-2021 | 11:26 AM
Ungrounded Moderator
20 Year Member

May I suggest you try at least once wiring them exactly as my description and diagram show rather than adding your own modifications? I assure you that when properly wired, there are no side effects at all. I'm afraid there is just no other way for me to explain it so I will be dropping out of this conversation until you have wired them as specified without modification... that includes leaving the side marker lights to their factory connections and not including them in this modification in any way.
Old 12-13-2021 | 01:50 PM
Teching In

May I suggest you try at least once wiring them exactly as my description and diagram show rather than adding your own modifications? I assure you that when properly wired, there are no side effects at all. I'm afraid there is just no other way for me to explain it so I will be dropping out of this conversation until you have wired them as specified without modification... that includes leaving the side marker lights to their factory connections and not including them in this modification in any way.
I have not done anything to the side marker lights they are untouched I done the wiring specified above all to the turn signal lights if i said side marker my fault but I have done all of this to the turn signal light

Quick Reply: Turn Signal Flasher for Switchbacks