Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Truck Alt or spring for something a little more on the fancy side?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 06:57 AM
Launching!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Truck Alt or spring for something a little more on the fancy side?

Hey guys. Just did the big 3 cable upgrade which shows me closer to 15.5 volts at start up, eventually settling to around 14.5 for most of the time i'm driving around. After a while, however, the voltage meter will drop to around 13 which makes me believe my original 16 year old alternator should get an upgrade especially since I plan on a 10% UD pulley in the future. I'm getting some surging and my lights still flicker at night

I was wondering if I should just go to the local parts store and ask for one from a 04 Escalade which I see recommended or spring for a billet Mechman or a Powermaster 150 amp unit. I don't foresee myself adding any more than a single 10" sub in the future but wanted to be on the safe side with something at least in the 140+ range.
Old 03-26-2017, 11:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Just do the truck upgrade that way you have plenty of warranty replacement options in the future if it fails. Plus you can go to any parts store and get them instead of a special mail order thing.

Quick Reply: Truck Alt or spring for something a little more on the fancy side?