Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Blowing fuses...help me before the cops get me.

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2004, 10:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blowing fuses...help me before the cops get me.

Hey all. I am at wits end here trying to find a short or something that comes and goes. Here is the situation. I am blowing number 5 fuse on my 99 TA. This fuse controls the dash lights/tail lights/fog lights and a couple other little things, but the major thing is the tail lights. I have been replacing this fuse trying to figure out what is wrong. I am almost out of 20 Amp fuses. The problem will go away for a couple days, the reoccur. Also, if I short it, my number 7 (power Acces) blows. Now, I have added things, but can't seem to track down the issue since everything that I have added still works. Anyone have any wiring schematics that I might be able to use to track down the problem?
Thanks,
Jonathan Hays
Old 07-01-2004, 09:51 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My friend had the same problem in his Camaro. He looked at the head unit wiring harness. The wire for the dimmer was grounding out behind the dash. It was only occassional and it was driving him nuts.
Old 07-01-2004, 10:00 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by you2slo
My friend had the same problem in his Camaro. He looked at the head unit wiring harness. The wire for the dimmer was grounding out behind the dash. It was only occassional and it was driving him nuts.
Interesting....Will be one of the thing I check then....Thanks
Old 07-08-2004, 01:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

check allyour wiring on the head unit. IF anything is bare it could cause a short. i had this problem a few times, (blew the same exact fuses), when i changed my head unit, i didnt cover up one of the ends well enough. If that puppy touches any metal, POP, no tail lights.