Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Orange wire vs orange/white stripe wire.

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2017, 08:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Orange wire vs orange/white stripe wire.

Pontiac Montana 2004 Stereo Change.
My harness has an orange wire which says illumination, my car stereo does not have an orange wire but an orange/white stripe wire (i.e. an orange wire with a white strip) which also says illumination. Do I connect both wires?
Old 11-15-2017, 09:07 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 278 Likes on 242 Posts

The normal use of orange and orange/white wires is orange is for variable voltage to control display illumination dimming (i.e. the head unit display dims along with the other dash lights) while orange/white is a simple on/off signal of whether the dash lights are on (the head unit has only bright and dim display settings and switches based on whether the lights are on or not). Very few aftermarket head units have the variable dim capability - most just have daytime (bright) and night (dim) options.

You can connect the head unit's orange/white wire to the adapter harness orange wire and it should work fine. The HU doesn't care how much voltage is present - just whether it is or not.
Old 11-19-2017, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
The normal use of orange and orange/white wires is orange is for variable voltage to control display illumination dimming (i.e. the head unit display dims along with the other dash lights) while orange/white is a simple on/off signal of whether the dash lights are on (the head unit has only bright and dim display settings and switches based on whether the lights are on or not). Very few aftermarket head units have the variable dim capability - most just have daytime (bright) and night (dim) options.

You can connect the head unit's orange/white wire to the adapter harness orange wire and it should work fine. The HU doesn't care how much voltage is present - just whether it is or not.
I've connected all wires but the stereo is not coming on. No power light at all. The fault is not the stereo cos I connected it to a ford 2002 F-150 and it worked fine but when I connect it to the Pontiac Montana 2004 it doesn't power on. The factory stereo powers on. Any ideas please?
Old 06-22-2022, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Joveria
I've connected all wires but the stereo is not coming on. No power light at all. The fault is not the stereo cos I connected it to a ford 2002 F-150 and it worked fine but when I connect it to the Pontiac Montana 2004 it doesn't power on. The factory stereo powers on. Any ideas please?
Did you ever solve I'm having similar issues!!!
Old 06-23-2022, 08:29 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 278 Likes on 242 Posts

Your best bet is to purchase a wiring harness adapter specifically for your vehicle model rather than trying to cut and splice the factory harness. That 2004 is not at all like the f-bodies normally discussed here in that there are other functions managed by the radio besides just music (e.g. the door and seat belt chimes among others). But even on f-bodies, a wiring harness adapter is always the best option to avoid butchering the factory wiring.

A basic wiring harness adapter is about $50-$60 from most auto parts stores or $100 and up for adapters which retain steering wheel controls and OnStar.

Quick Reply: Orange wire vs orange/white stripe wire.