Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Headlights NOT on

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 07:46 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by KY_TA
Question for WhiteBird00.

I have a 98 TA, and looking at the wiring diagram, do the low beam lights go off when the high beam lights are on?
This is from looking at the Headlamp Dimmer Switch C(low beams), A(high beams), and B being feed by C1-F on DRL or E on Headlamp Switch.
No, on Firebirds the low beam headlights remain on when the high beams are selected. Camaros are wired so that the low beams go off when the high beams are selected but it's easy to modify them to work like a Firebird.
Old 05-20-2009, 08:16 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
No, on Firebirds the low beam headlights remain on when the high beams are selected. Camaros are wired so that the low beams go off when the high beams are selected but it's easy to modify them to work like a Firebird.
I do not think I have a tan wire from C(low beams) on Headlamp Dimmer Switch to low beam lights.
(I need to verify this.)
I am burning up the fuse link in the Headlamp Switch.
I have unplugged the Headlamp Switch and jumped E and J. All lights work fine.
With the high beams on, I in plug the Headlamp Dimmer Switch. This turns off the high beams but the low beams stay on. I donor see how this can be with the wiring diagram on post. (Post diagram is the same as the one in my service manual.)

If I jumper Headlamp Switch E and J. with a 15amp fuse, and high beams on it blows the fuse. But with a 20amp fuse it holds. So I am pulling between 15 and 20amp.
What is the fuse link in the Headlamp Switch rated at?
And where are the low beams being feed from?
Old 06-26-2019, 09:05 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by mySStery_machine
I actually just disconnected the lights from the actual light and left the DRL module intact to get that reading on the yellow wire on pin E. I really don't want to take that risk and smoke another switch either if it is the DRL and that would happen if it worked w/out and then when I plugged in the DRL module after correct?

My DRLs wont turn on but signals work just fine
driving me crazy.. anyone know what i can do to get the DRLs back like they should be plz and thanks
Old 06-27-2019, 12:40 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BadAzz99TransAm
My DRLs wont turn on but signals work just fine
driving me crazy.. anyone know what i can do to get the DRLs back like they should be plz and thanks
This is a blast from the past. About 15 years ago to be exact. I had another module issue years later and just started keeping a few on standby for potential future issues. I think I have three saved now and have needed zero in likely ten years. The DRL modules were definitely hit or miss for me. I ended up completing the six light mod as well as adding a switch to defeat auto headlights on the car.
Old 06-27-2019, 02:15 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by mySStery_machine
This is a blast from the past. About 15 years ago to be exact. I had another module issue years later and just started keeping a few on standby for potential future issues. I think I have three saved now and have needed zero in likely ten years. The DRL modules were definitely hit or miss for me. I ended up completing the six light mod as well as adding a switch to defeat auto headlights on the car.

I want the DRL on though i hate them off lol
Old 06-27-2019, 08:06 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

If your front turn signals work but your DRLs don't then it's almost certain that the DRL module is the problem. The module has a pair of flip-flop relays which switch the output to the front lamps between flashing turn signal power and steady ignition power as necessary to provide signals and DRLs. It is unlikely that both relays would fail at the same time so the problem is likely the solid state circuit that controls them.

The DRL module part number is 10407669. Unfortunately it is over $200... Rock Auto $225, GM Parts Online $263.

Your other option if you are electrically inclined is to use an aftermarket universal DRL kit for about $40, some wire and some time to install.

Quick Reply: Headlights NOT on