Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

02 Trans Am WS6 Turn signal issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2019, 12:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question 02 Trans Am WS6 Turn signal issue

Need a little help diagnosing a problem. I have a 2002 Trans Am and the driver side turn signal is not working. When the lights are turned on, it lights up. However, it will not flash for turning or hazards. The passenger side works as it should. The driver side socket has been spliced. I'm hoping someone has an idea before I start just swapping out parts.
Old 07-10-2019, 03:45 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 281 Likes on 244 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Have you tried replacing the bulb? The front bulbs (3157) have two filaments in them - a bright filament for the turn signals and DRLs and a dim filament for the parking/running lights that go on with the headlights. One filament can burn out without impacting the other. Sounds like the bright filament in the bulb is burned out.

If that turns out not to be the problem then some basic troubleshooting with a test light or multimeter will be required. Check that you have power on the blue wire at the socket when either the DRLs or turn signals are on. You can assume that the other two wires (brown for parking lights and black for ground) are okay since your parking lights work. If you have power on the blue wire then the bulb is definitely the problem. If you don't have power there then you'll want to check the other end of the blue wire at the DRL module behind the radio.
Old 07-10-2019, 03:48 PM
Teching In

The bulb is new but I did recently put in a new radio. I must have messed something up back there. Thanks for the info.
Old 07-10-2019, 03:53 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Just because a bulb is new doesn't mean it's not burned out. Especially with these cars which get cracks in the housing, get very hot with the DRL on, and then get cold water inside.

You would not have done anything to the DRL module just by replacing the head unit. You'd have to deliberately reach up behind the radio and mess with the module where it is mounted to the defroster duct... very unlikely.

Never make assumptions. Start with the basics at the point of failure (the front lamp) and then test and work your way back in the circuit until you find the problem. That will keep you from buying unnecessary parts and ensure the problem gets fixed the first time.
Old 07-10-2019, 03:56 PM
Teching In

Will do. Replaced the housings yesterday because of the cracks and put in LED bulbs. I'll test the wiring first and make sure it's still working properly.
Old 07-10-2019, 03:59 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

You didn't mention LED bulbs. That can make a difference. First try putting a standard incandescent bulb back in to see if that solves the problem. Or try swapping the bulbs between left and right sides - if the problem switches sides then it's the bulb, it it stays on the same side then it's the socket, wiring, or something upstream.
Old 07-10-2019, 06:36 PM
Teching In

Got it working. Socket need a good scrape and clean. Thanks for the help.
Old 07-26-2019, 04:02 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Tareothlee
Will do. Replaced the housings yesterday because of the cracks and put in LED bulbs. I'll test the wiring first and make sure it's still working properly.
Where can I get the "LED' bulbs and what part number are they!?!?!? I have had this as a common problem on my last two FBodies and is driving me crazy (the regular bulbs shoot quick).
Old 07-26-2019, 04:06 PM
Teching In

Was actually able to get them at my local Auto Zone. I got the ZEVO LED Mini Bulb 3157A. There may have been others but I just grabbed the first ones I saw with 3157A on them.