Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

02 T/A blinkers stopped working

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2019, 06:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default 02 T/A blinkers stopped working

Hey all,
ive been reading through all the various blinker/DRL threads but I’m having a problem that doesn’t make any sense or fit any of the other issues.

My blinkers just stoped working. I replaced the AC compressor and had a shop fill with Freon and when I picked it up, the blinkers didn’t work anymore. They worked fine when I brought the vehicle to the shop.

All other light functions work fine. DRL, hazards, backup, parking, headlights, gauges, everything works fine, but the blinkers don’t work.

I checked the fuses just because, but of course they are all fine. Also replaced the blinker bulbs up front.

Wondering where to check next?
Old 07-23-2019, 07:24 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 281 Likes on 244 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Since the hazards work, you can eliminate the front lamps, sockets, bulbs, wiring and DRL module from the list of possible causes. There are two items which fit the symptoms best - the fuse and the flasher. My money is on the fuse. I know you said you checked the fuses but you should never rely on a visual inspection of fuses - especially really old ones. They can look fine but still be blown. Always use a fuse tester, multimeter, or just replace with a known good fuse. In this case, you can just check if your backup lights work... the fuse in question is the TURN B/U fuse (#2, 20A).

If the fuse is okay then the next candidate is the turn signal flasher. These cars use separate flashers for turn signals than for hazards. The hazard flasher is mounted near the base of the steering column. The turn signal flasher is mounted just inside the right side of the opening when you remove the knee panel under the steering column, near the OBD II port. Both are the same flasher type so you can swap the hazard flasher into the turn signal flasher socket to see if that fixes the signals.
Old 07-23-2019, 09:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the suggestions!

I did check the backup lamps and they work properly. I can put a multimeter on the fuse as well just to confirm but I’m pretty sure it’s working since the backup lamps work.

I also did replace the flasher with no luck.

the behavior is strange in that nothing lights up at all for any of the blinkers, even the dash indicators.
Old 07-23-2019, 09:53 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Do the rear turn signals work (at least turn on even if they don't flash)? The front and rear signals are wired separately from the turn signal switch on. If only front or back aren't working then we can narrow down the problem. If none are working then you may be looking at the turn signal switch. However, it would be very unusual for the switch to fail on both sides at once.

Rather than guessing, we should do some diagnostic testing. I just posted some diagnostic procedures a few days ago: https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...l#post20124444
Old 07-23-2019, 10:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I will double check the rear, but I don’t believe any of them light up at all.

Ill also take take a look at your diagnostic link and try to go through the steps. Unfortunately I’m tied up tonight, but will try to tackle it tomorrow.
Old 07-24-2019, 07:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Alright,

so so I checked and was getting power at the flasher harness, but NOT when I used the ground point that I connected the new flasher to (I replaced the original flasher with a no load flasher with ground in case I decide I want to go LED in the future).

I had checked the ground point previously and got a good ground, but for some reason not once I had installed the flasher.

So so I moved the flasher ground point to another location and everything works great now.

After all that, it was simply a defective flasher that caused them to go out initially, and a bad ground point that had me stumped
Old 07-25-2019, 07:13 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Good diagnostic work! Glad you found the problem and got it fixed.
Old 07-25-2019, 08:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for your help whitebird!