Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Dash gauges not working

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2020, 06:46 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dash gauges not working

Good morning everyone
Having a bit of trouble with my gauges not working after waking up my 2000 trans am from her winter slumber. She had a trickle charger all winter. Now, I am no good when it comes to electronics. The lights on the dash work but nothing else, with the exception of the battery gauge, works. Even the odometer doesn't work. Hoping there someone who had a similar experience with this or is knowledgeable with these types of issues. So far what I've check are the fuses and all seem ok. I did have my turn signal pigtail burn up, again. Fixed that but no change. What else should I be checking? Is it likely I need a new dash? Thanks you all for any input.
Old 05-13-2020, 10:44 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 278 Likes on 242 Posts

Check the GAUGES fuse again using a fuse tester or multimeter (or just replace it with a known good fuse). Never rely on a visual inspection of a fuse (especially an old one) because they can be blown even when they look fine.
Old 05-13-2020, 12:14 PM
Teching In

I'll just replace the fuse and report back after work. Thanks for the input. Hopefully that's all it is.
Old 05-14-2020, 01:47 PM
Teching In

So I replaced the fuse with a known good fuse. No change. Any other ideas? I know its hard to diagnose over the internet so I appreciate the help
Old 05-15-2020, 08:46 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 278 Likes on 242 Posts

Does the oil pressure gauge work? The oil pressure and voltage gauges are the only two which don't use class 2 serial data in their function. If only those two work then you would seem to have a problem with the serial data.
Old 05-15-2020, 11:27 AM
Teching In

I belive the oil pressure gauge would work if I replaced the oil pressure sensor, just haven't gotten around to it. As far as that serial data is concerned, I am unfamiliar with it. How do you check that? Am I at the replacement of the cluster at that stage?
Old 05-16-2020, 10:29 AM
Teching In

So I got one of those Bluetooth obd2 and the torque app. I am showing a P0650 code. Its pending. Would that narrow down my next move?

Quick Reply: Dash gauges not working