Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Installed new dash cam

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2020, 02:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 75 Likes on 50 Posts

Default Installed new dash cam

I never remember to take pictures during my installs but the finished product is better than nothing. I managed to cleanly install a Street Guardian SG9663DCPRO over the course of about 6 hours. I wasn't positive on the feature set I wanted and would always end up with 20 tabs open when shopping for a cam. Found this one with the help of the r/dashcam sub-reddit.

You can see it's hardly noticeable at all from the outside:

For the rear cam, I simply routed the wire above the headliner leaving enough slack out the back to open and close the hatch without creating any tension. The wires for the front cam also start above the headliner, then down the A pillar into the dash. The power and accessory wires go to the fuse panel and the ground goes to the ebrake bolts. You can see the GPS antenna mounted to the right of the rear view mirror, instructions said it needed at least 15cm from the cam.

I think it looks great and so far works perfectly. I'll be interested to see if the adhesive survives the summer...
The following users liked this post:
jybravo70 (07-30-2020)
Old 07-30-2020, 04:18 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Clean install. My first thought on the rear camera would be to mount it to the rear interior light but looking out the glass it would just see the black dots.

Unrelated, but those don't look like the original headliner or mirror. Looks like microsuede material and I'm not sure which mirror.
Old 07-30-2020, 11:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 75 Likes on 50 Posts

Right, and I couldn't mount it to the dots because then the adhesive pad would have a bunch of air pockets. Had to go between the defrost lines.

The headliner started to sag a few years ago so I had it reupholstered with micro suede, good eye. The mirror however is original as far as I know. The car has only had 1 previous owner: my uncle. I'm pretty sure he never modified or replaced anything except the stock radio a few times and the water pump a few times.
Old 07-31-2020, 01:04 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by AdsoYo
The mirror however is original as far as I know.
It's the exact same design that came stock on my '98. I began getting brown specks around the perimeter of the mirror so I replaced mine with the later version maybe 2 years ago.

Quick Reply: Installed new dash cam