Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Grounding multiple amps with a distribution block?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2020, 07:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 177 Likes on 136 Posts

Default Grounding multiple amps with a distribution block?

Can I connect multiple amp grounds to a distribution block, then to a single ground location, as long as the cable from ground to the distribution is equivalent to all of the individual ground wires? If I have 1/0 between the ground and the distribution block, then I should be fine with three 8 AWG and one 10 AWG grounds, right?
Old 11-03-2020, 10:07 PM
TECH Regular

Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts

How long are the wires you are running and what is the grounding block being attached? The grounds between the amps and the block should be at manufacturer's recommended gauge. I would match the gauge of the power wire for the ground. Here is a chart that should help.

Old 11-04-2020, 07:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 177 Likes on 136 Posts

The Mfg recommended gauge is 8 for each of the three amps. The processor doesn't have a recommendation, but it doesn't draw much power, so even 12 gauge would be overkill. I plan less than 4ft of 8 gauge ground between each amp and the distribution block, 12 gauge ground for the processor, and probably a foot of ought between the distribution block and ground. That will leave me with a lot of options of where the ground point is.

Quick Reply: Grounding multiple amps with a distribution block?