Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Bad Noise/Belt Speed Hum

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2004, 12:55 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad Noise/Belt Speed Hum

Well, I bet this this pretty common. What'd everyone do to get rid of the high whine that's related to the belt? Is it just bad grounding? Or someone else on the engines ground's bad? It's not the amp wiring, I already checked all of their grounds. Also, the headunit didn't seem to be grounded. Does it use the antenna as part of it's ground? Mined on a on/off switch.

Locke434

Old 07-19-2004, 07:54 AM
Deranged Rat Fink

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

make sure every single component is grounded to bare metal and that you have a good solid (at least 4ga ) battery to body ground that should make the noise go away . also , avoid running signal (rca) cables close to the bcm .
Old 07-19-2004, 07:04 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by badjuju342
make sure every single component is grounded to bare metal and that you have a good solid (at least 4ga ) battery to body ground that should make the noise go away . also , avoid running signal (rca) cables close to the bcm .

Where is the BCM located?
Old 07-20-2004, 02:09 AM
Deranged Rat Fink

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

passenger side kick panel.
Old 07-20-2004, 04:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Like badjuju said, Improper grounding: bad connection or too long of a ground wire, too small gauge, etc... is the number 1 reason for engine/alternator whine from the system. One way to test is to turn on the system and disconnect the RCA's. If you still hear the whine, it is probably the grounding of your amp(s).
If not then you are getting it thru your RCA's, at least you would have eliminated half of the system as the problem.
I also got noise from an RCA not plugged all the way in on a head unit. It must have worked its way out when I was putting the HU back in.

Hope this helps.
Paul