Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

How to fix broken AM FM antenna stero cable connector

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2021, 09:23 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to fix broken AM FM antenna stero cable connector

I was in the process of replacing my JVC head unit with another one and when I was taking off the AM FM antenna stero cable it broke off from the connector. I noticed it was taped together prior. I can't seem to get it back into the connector. What would be the best way to fix this?

Last edited by prix57; 07-13-2021 at 10:20 AM.
Old 07-11-2021, 09:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 210 Likes on 169 Posts

Go to the junk yard and find another cable assembly with a connector on the end of the same style. Solder the center conductors together and the shield braids together - insulate these from each other. Use some heat shrink tubing - several thicknesses - to stiffen up the new joint and you should be good to go.

Rick

The following users liked this post:
prix57 (07-11-2021)
Old 07-11-2021, 01:41 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by B52bombardier1
Go to the junk yard and find another cable assembly with a connector on the end of the same style. Solder the center conductors together and the shield braids together - insulate these from each other. Use some heat shrink tubing - several thicknesses - to stiffen up the new joint and you should be good to go.

Rick
I don't think I will be able to find one at an auto wrecker where I am as most have closed down.

I saw this on Crutchfield, will this work if it's spliced?

https://www.crutchfield.ca/p_12040GM...a-Adapter.html

Old 07-11-2021, 02:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 210 Likes on 169 Posts

It will work if the connector dimensions are the same. Measure yours and then ask Crutchfield.

Rick

prix57 (07-11-2021)
Old 07-13-2021, 09:26 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 278 Likes on 242 Posts

Go to your local parts store (or even Walmart) and pick up a GM antenna adapter for a few bucks. GM used a much smaller than standard Motorola style antenna connector so an adapter was necessary whenever installing an aftermarket head unit like your JVC. It's about six inches long with the small size socket on one end and the standard size plug on the other end. You can cut the cable and splice as B52bombardier1 mentioned without having to place an online order.

If whoever installed the head unit had used one of these adapters in the first place, you wouldn't be in this situation.
prix57 (07-13-2021)
Old 07-13-2021, 11:35 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Go to your local parts store (or even Walmart) and pick up a GM antenna adapter for a few bucks. GM used a much smaller than standard Motorola style antenna connector so an adapter was necessary whenever installing an aftermarket head unit like your JVC. It's about six inches long with the small size socket on one end and the standard size plug on the other end. You can cut the cable and splice as B52bombardier1 mentioned without having to place an online order.

If whoever installed the head unit had used one of these adapters in the first place, you wouldn't be in this situation.
I was not able to find this at any of my local stores but went ahead and ordered this from Amazon, it should be here soon. Is this the same GM antenna adapter you are referring to?

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B0002BEQN4/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B0002BEQN4/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited by prix57; 07-13-2021 at 11:49 AM.
Old 07-14-2021, 08:25 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 278 Likes on 242 Posts

Yes, that will work. I'm surprised you couldn't find it locally... I just went to the Walmart website and found my local store has it in stock for under $9.

Quick Reply: How to fix broken AM FM antenna stero cable connector