Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Some advice please

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2021, 02:37 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Some advice please

I hope this is the right place for his. Long story short, I bought a 98SS about 10 yrs ago as a roller in hopes of building a awesome street strip vehicle. However, life has gotten in the way but I知 looking to get started on the project as time permits. The issue is that mice have gotten inside the vehicle and wrecked havoc on the wiring, thankfully I had al of the interior out except for the dashboard. I知 wanting to rewire the car and I知 wanting to know what is the best direction to go for all new wiring and I will probably be looking to change to either the later 99-2002 wiring and pcm or switch over to a Holley Terminator X Max setup. I am wanting to retain all the creature comforts of heating,ac, power window and radio. Basically I知 planning to put the car back together with a built motor, 4l80e and full interior so the kids can ride with me.
Old 07-18-2021, 11:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

I think if you get a body harness from a 99-02 and a matching bcm that'd be the easiest. The bcm is what controls the creature comforts of the car (hence the name lol) so switching to a terminator or a non OE EFI system shouldn't cause any problems.

Worst case, if you wanted to, you could just wire the windows, doors, and HVAC like the old systems were pre computers.
Old 07-19-2021, 09:26 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

Actually, the BCM controls only the anti-theft systems (VATS and the optional alarm), interior courtesy lights, hatch release, keyless entry, retained accessory power (RAP), and some of the warning lights in the instrument cluster. It is unrelated to HVAC or other body circuits (power seats, rear defogger, convertible top control, etc.). Its only connection to the radio and windows is the RAP circuit which is easily bypassed by simply providing an ignition-switched power source. Likewise, the hatch release can be bypassed by simply switching a couple of wires on the relay. The courtesy lights are easily rewired if you don't mind giving up the theater dimming effect. Probably the most difficult to duplicate without a BCM would be the door locks / keyless entry. I'm sure a seat belt warning light isn't high on your list of priorities.
Old 07-19-2021, 04:52 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Actually, the BCM controls only the anti-theft systems (VATS and the optional alarm), interior courtesy lights, hatch release, keyless entry, retained accessory power (RAP), and some of the warning lights in the instrument cluster. It is unrelated to HVAC or other body circuits (power seats, rear defogger, convertible top control, etc.). Its only connection to the radio and windows is the RAP circuit which is easily bypassed by simply providing an ignition-switched power source. Likewise, the hatch release can be bypassed by simply switching a couple of wires on the relay. The courtesy lights are easily rewired if you don't mind giving up the theater dimming effect. Probably the most difficult to duplicate without a BCM would be the door locks / keyless entry. I'm sure a seat belt warning light isn't high on your list of priorities.

Thanks,

No those items aren稚 high on my list of priorities. I知 not even sure if the pcm and bcm are bad actually. I知 just mainly wanting to replace all of the wiring to be sure everything is in good working order so I won稚 have any problems down the road. I was just looking into the Terminator X max system for the ease of tuning, transmission control and future modifications. But at the end of the day the car will be more street than anything, something for us to enjoy.

Quick Reply: Some advice please