Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Best Speaker Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2021, 02:23 AM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Best Speaker Replacement

I’m looking for a replacement set of speakers for my 99 Firebird convertible. I don’t think I have the monsoon system seeing as I only have the door speakers and the backseat speakers. Are there any kits like Kee Audio has but for birds that don’t have the monsoon system?
Old 03-20-2021, 04:01 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 278 Likes on 242 Posts

Check your door label for the option code X20 or look for the factory amp in the trunk to determine if you have the Monsoon system. You probably do if it's a T/A... less likely but still common in base models.
The following users liked this post:
k3000 (03-21-2021)
Old 03-20-2021, 08:09 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Check your door label for the option code X20 or look for the factory amp in the trunk to determine if you have the Monsoon system. You probably do if it's a T/A... less likely but still common in base models.
I’ll look tomorrow but it’s a base model v6 convertible
Old 03-22-2021, 06:44 PM
Teching In

I checked it out and I have the option code x20 on my door label
Old 03-23-2021, 07:43 AM
On The Tree

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

(link to keeaudio.com removed)

I am looking to replace my speakers all around, and this source was mentioned as a very very reputable source. I actually emailed the guy a while back, and he had provided me with some really good insight and advice. I dont know about you, but I'm not looking to do anything crazy (like a system you can hear from one state over), I just want a good sounding, easy to install replacement to my crackling Monsoon speakers. The Level 4 was recommended. I have yet to purchase, but once the suspension upgrades are ordered, that will be the next step for me.

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 03-23-2021 at 09:27 AM. Reason: removed non-sponsor link
Old 03-23-2021, 09:26 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by sutliff01
I checked it out and I have the option code x20 on my door label
That indicates that you have a Monsoon system so the many discussions of speakers for Monsoon systems will give you lots of information. Also, as ARSENAL670 mentioned, Kee Audio has long been our vendor of choice even though he is no longer a sponsor of the forums (which is why the link was removed... forum rules). Just bear in mind that his audio business is a side gig so there can be delays in responses to questions via email. Your patience will be rewarded and I have never heard of any delays in shipping orders once you place one.

It's very important to be conscious of the fact that you have a convertible which has completely different speakers than the coupe setups which are most commonly discussed here.
The following users liked this post:
ARSENAL670 (03-24-2021)
Old 07-18-2021, 10:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 848 Likes on 649 Posts

I'm sure the KEE setups are quite good. I want to mention that in regards to 2 ohm Firebird door speakers, a lower cost option would be some JBL components. They vary from 2.3 ohm to 3 ohm for most of their component line.

I believe that Kee also sells JBL.

Last edited by wannafbody; 07-21-2021 at 10:56 PM.
Old 07-19-2021, 12:41 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by wannafbody
I'm sure the KEE setups are quite good. I want to mention that in regards to 2 ohm Firebird door speakers, a lower cost option would be some JBL components. They vary from 2.3 ohm to 3 ohm for most of their component line.
I sent out an email to Kee back in March in regards to one of his kits but I never got an email back so I guess I’ll have to go elsewhere
Old 07-19-2021, 02:23 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

As I said, Ian's audio business is a side gig so he occasionally misses an email or takes a while to respond. I would try him again before moving on to another source that probably won't know much about f-body Monsoon systems - especially in a convertible. Even Crutchfield, which has a reputation for having some of the most knowledgeable techs, has frequently misled members here with incorrect information.
The following 2 users liked this post by WhiteBird00:
ARSENAL670 (07-20-2021), wannafbody (07-19-2021)
Old 07-21-2021, 03:37 PM
Teching In

As I said, Ian's audio business is a side gig so he occasionally misses an email or takes a while to respond. I would try him again before moving on to another source that probably won't know much about f-body Monsoon systems - especially in a convertible. Even Crutchfield, which has a reputation for having some of the most knowledgeable techs, has frequently misled members here with incorrect information.
Im not in the position right now to be putting unnecessary money into it right now but when I get back to it ill definitely try reaching out to him again before I move on to someone else

Quick Reply: Best Speaker Replacement