Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Quick Question Please???

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2021, 12:18 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Quick Question Please???

Hello everyone, i have a quick question if i can get some help please....on my 98 TA LS1 and on the drivers side engine bay i have a flat braided copper ground strap hanging....can someone please tell me where the 2 attachment points are? does one end attach to the ground on the alternator and the other to the frame or what???? Thanks everyone. i was having an issue with my car that when i would attempt to hook the battery up my car would attempt to crank....i checked the starter wires and they look fine. i am thinking it may have something to do with the un hooked ground strap i am asking about.....any other reasons my motor would attempt to crank when i attach the battery? it is a manual car and the key is off.....thanks!
Old 08-03-2021, 12:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 475 Likes on 365 Posts

usually there is a ground stud on the firewall that grounds the engine to the chassis ,, is it that cable? It gets left off on a lot of rigs, not just chevy's then folks wonder why their electrical system has gremlins.
The following users liked this post:
Stephen Manchester (08-03-2021)
Old 08-03-2021, 02:08 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pdxmotorhead
usually there is a ground stud on the firewall that grounds the engine to the chassis ,, is it that cable? It gets left off on a lot of rigs, not just chevy's then folks wonder why their electrical system has gremlins.
Thanks for the info....the ground strap on my 98 TA LS1 is right in front of the driver side motor....it looks as if one end would hook to the alternator and the other end to the frame or somewhere????
Old 08-04-2021, 08:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 241 Likes on 197 Posts

it attaches to the frame by the sway bar mount....above it

sorry no pic at the moment
Old 08-05-2021, 12:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

Yes that is the ground strap that goes from the block to the frame on the drivers side. As sjs said it is above the sway bar mount, just forward of the ABS block.

As for attaching to the block... anywhere will do really. I believe it was meant to bolt to the rear bracket on the alternator but a lot of people take that bracket off.
Old 08-06-2021, 02:37 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah mine is attached behind the alternator somewhere on the engine block, but I don't remember exactly where. Mine isn't attached to the alternator or alternator bracket, I know that for sure.

Quick Reply: Quick Question Please???