Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Odd voltage drop problem...

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2021, 07:59 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Odd voltage drop problem...

Hello all, I am currently installing a Holley Terminator X on my 02 Trans Am, and ran into an extremely odd voltage problem this week. As of Sunday, everything electrical was working just fine. I left the car sit Monday and Tuesday with the battery disconnected and on a tender, and when I went to hook the battery back up to test that the amps I wired in were working, I had no interior power except for the flashing security light on the dash. When I turn the key, I get a split second chime sound then nothing.

Now here's the weird part, I am reading 13.6 volts at the battery, but only 4-6 volts at the engine bay fuse block.

After removing multiple connectors one at a time, I noticed when I disconnect the electrical block under and slightly to the left of the steering wheel, (the one held in by the 7mm bolt) I get full voltage at the engine bay fuse block again.

Does anyone have any clue what connects there that could be leaching voltage from the system? I have disconnected the stereo power wire from the battery as it was on Sunday when everything was working to rule that out. Are there any relays under the dash somewhere that I should check? Could a bad relay even cause this type of parasitic draw? Completely at a loss here....

Thanks guys!
Old 08-06-2021, 09:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 210 Likes on 169 Posts

Certainly, a stuck relay could do bad things. I'd put all fuses in and then patch in a multimeter at the battery set to a low measuring value for amps - don't start the vehicle in this configuration. Then start pulling fuses one at a time while watching the amp value on the meter face. Pull the relays one at a time, too.

Lots of You Tube videos on how to track parasitic current drains.

Rick
Old 08-06-2021, 11:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 399 Likes on 291 Posts

If battery voltage is fine then it's not a parasitic draw, it's just a poor connection somewhere.
Old 08-06-2021, 11:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 475 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by QwkTrip
If battery voltage is fine then it's not a parasitic draw, it's just a poor connection somewhere.
I would agree and will add that it could be a positive or ground issue, Bad grounds can almost be harder to figure out than a bad positive connection because when voltage tries to find the path of least resistance with a poor/bad ground it can cause some odd readings elsewhere.
Old 08-07-2021, 06:39 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the responses fellas. My first thought was ground as well, but all the factory grounds are in their proper locations and there is no corrosion on any of them. I will go through them again though just to confirm. I have a feeling I'm on a long road of frustration here...

Quick Reply: Odd voltage drop problem...