Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Question on diagnosing speaker problem.

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2021, 03:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 907 Likes on 647 Posts

Default Question on diagnosing speaker problem.

I am trying to diagnose a problem I'm having with my audio system. I don't know if it's a speaker, amp or HU issue. I've had this problem for a long time, but it comes and goes and I don't drive the car that often. All of these components were done probably 10 years ago.

This is my setup. Pioneer AVH4300 HU>JL 700/5 amp>CDT crossovers to the front door speakers which are CDT component speakers w/ tweeters. CDT mids in the sail panels, CDT 10 CF sub.

The problem I'm having is this.

The front drivers door speakers are louder than the passenger door, then the drivers speaker volume drops down and the passenger side increases and they are about them same. The passenger side will drop down again and the driver side will increase.

Car audio isn't my thing.

My question is, if there is a problem with the passenger side speaker, will the amp push more power to the drivers side? Could it be an amp issue?

Last week I went back and verified the polarity of the front speakers are correct(it's been 10 years since I did the install and I use to drink alot ) I added terminal ends on the wires that go to the amp and to the crossovers.

I thought about just ordering a new set of front component speakers to see if that takes care of the problem, but I don't like throwing parts at any problem without diagnosing it first.

Thanks for any help.
Old 08-09-2021, 09:12 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 848 Likes on 649 Posts

Try switching speakers side to side and see if the problem continues. I doubt that it's the speakers. My guess would be a head unit or amp issue.

Quick Reply: Question on diagnosing speaker problem.