Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

BCM relay getting hot?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2021, 09:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BCM relay getting hot?

I can't find an answer to this questions so I thought I would ask here. So I was having some issues with my radio cutting out recently and I heard that sometimes the bcm relay will cause issues, so I looked at that first. I ended up resoldering one of the contacts, but leaving the bcm hanging while I took it for a test drive to see if it was working first. When I went to put it back up after driving it, I noticed the bcm was really warm. I took the thing apart and found the relay to be pretty warm, but the contacts on the back where hot. I'm not sure exactly how hot, but for context, I could put my finger on the contacts and hold it there for about 5 - 10 seconds before it got too hot for me to touch anymore. So it's not just warm, it's very warm. I'm not sure if this is normal, if this could be because the resoldering messed something up (I have no idea if this was happening before), or maybe some other problem. Hopefully this is normal and I don't have anything to worry about but I'm hoping somebody who knows more about this stuff could weigh in.

Also, as a bit of extra info that's not exactly related to the core question here.. I'm not entirely sure the my resoldering fixed the intermittent cutting out of the radio, but it hasn't cut out since I did the repair. This started happening very recently and it seems to happen kinda rarely, but when it does happen, it will cut out over and over and over again. Sometimes when it shuts off it'll stay off for a minute or two.

Thanks for reading my post here.
Shannon,
Old 08-11-2021, 12:04 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

What did you resolder? The "T" section of solder points often develops micro cracks and resoldering fixes it. However, I don't remember anyone mentioning excess heat. A bad connection will cause heat though.

Old 08-11-2021, 01:13 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah it was the very bottom solder point there, it appeared to not be soldered very well at that point.
All 5 of the solder points get pretty hot, but I do think the bottom one gets the hottest.
Old 08-11-2021, 11:29 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Resolder all 5 and see if it gets better. Maybe someone else can chime in with the heat.
Old 08-11-2021, 11:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 475 Likes on 365 Posts

You might also clean the coating off around each connection and when you re-solder float the solder to a wider area, It will help lower resistance a bit in the connection.
Had the same issue in a jeep and a toyota..

Quick Reply: BCM relay getting hot?