Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Does anyone have one 10" on the drivers side panel in the hatch?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2004, 06:25 AM
n2o
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Does anyone have one 10" on the drivers side panel in the hatch?

I ordered one of those boxes to put a sub back there. Does it sound good? Amp is going to be 300watt rms what sub should I throw back there?
Old 07-22-2004, 04:06 PM
TECH Resident

I made my own fiberglass box for a single 12". Go to the link in my sig to see details. Oh, and yes, it does sound good.
Old 07-22-2004, 10:18 PM
Teching In

I got my box with a 10W3v2 from JL AUDIO. Sounds awsome. I have it hooked up to a Phoenix Gold T300.1 amp. 300Watts matched evenly...
Old 07-22-2004, 10:39 PM
TECH Veteran

It sounds good if you are using the proper equipment and the box is made properly. Some of the cheaper boxes are made out of plastic or MDF which in my opinion dont sound as good as a fiberglass enclosure. I had a JL Stealthbox and it sound great though you have to understand what your getting out of it. Stealth boxes are designed to fill in the bottom end of your system. But if your looking for mind numbing bass best to look elsewhere as that is not what they are intended for and your just gonna be blowing up subwoofers.
Old 07-22-2004, 10:40 PM
TECH Resident

I made mine custom look at web page about mide ways.sound great.
Old 07-22-2004, 10:44 PM
Launching!

Image dynamics v.3 10" 300 watts rms is plenty.
Old 07-24-2004, 09:35 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by maddboost
It sounds good if you are using the proper equipment and the box is made properly. Some of the cheaper boxes are made out of plastic or MDF which in my opinion dont sound as good as a fiberglass enclosure. I had a JL Stealthbox and it sound great though you have to understand what your getting out of it. Stealth boxes are designed to fill in the bottom end of your system. But if your looking for mind numbing bass best to look elsewhere as that is not what they are intended for and your just gonna be blowing up subwoofers.
3/4 inch MDF is just as strong as 1/4" fiberglass, and it flexes less. You can buy a box for the pocket for 99.00 retail, or have one made for about 350-400 retail. Take your pick.

Recently, I put a single Diamond Audio M610D2 in a Hooker Audio Camaro pocket box, with a JBL BP 300.1 (I think, it was the customer's amp) running at 1 ohm (yeah I know, not supposed to) and it metered at 137.1 db with an Audiocontrol mic, on the dash. If this isn't enough bass for most of you, then you gotta look into something in the T-top well.
Old 07-29-2004, 02:57 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by retsell
3/4 inch MDF is just as strong as 1/4" fiberglass, and it flexes less. You can buy a box for the pocket for 99.00 retail, or have one made for about 350-400 retail. Take your pick.

Recently, I put a single Diamond Audio M610D2 in a Hooker Audio Camaro pocket box, with a JBL BP 300.1 (I think, it was the customer's amp) running at 1 ohm (yeah I know, not supposed to) and it metered at 137.1 db with an Audiocontrol mic, on the dash. If this isn't enough bass for most of you, then you gotta look into something in the T-top well.
Where could I find the box and amp that you ran in the camaro? The setup sounds like something Id like to run in my car.
Old 07-29-2004, 06:37 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by lazyj02
Where could I find the box and amp that you ran in the camaro? The setup sounds like something Id like to run in my car.
They just changed the M6 woofers to the Mk2, which I don't think they will fit anymore. I can try and find you one if you would like. If you want a similar setup, I could find you an M610 and a pocket box, with a Diamond D3 600.1 (measured 748 watts out of it w/ no clipping) for... 500.00 plus shipping. I would also include a receipt with it for warranty at any diamond audio dealer. You could find the stuff cheaper online I am sure, but you would be passing on the 3 year warranty with the sub and amp. PM me if you are interested...
Old 07-29-2004, 07:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by retsell

If you build a fiberglass properly it will be stiffer and have less flex and be lighter than a MDF box. All in the material and the person who makes it.

Im not a fan of Audiocontrols EPIC for DB measurement. We compared one in our shop to using Audiocontrols Spectrum Analyzer and placed the mic near the EPIC system and find it to be anywhere from 1.5 to 4 DBs off. After a call to Audiocontrol they said that was within spec and to not worry. Cant compare a $150 DB meter to a $1200 one. Big SPL numbers can be decieving. I made a 8" Kicker L7 hit 146.6 dbs in my camaro using a box that took me an hour to make but it sound like ***. The box you use is very important in determining output and sound quality. Id put JLs fiberglass box against any MDF box using a similar 10" sub and I guarantee the JL would kick its ***.
Old 07-29-2004, 09:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i am very happy with my JL 10W3D2 in the JL stealth box. nice compliement to the rest of my system.

Ryan.
Old 07-29-2004, 09:39 PM
Teching In

I have a 10" MTX Thunderform, new style with 200 watt rms built in amp, just bought it a week ago for $499 before I decided to completely gut the stereo system and start all over with custom gear. Will sell it for say $350 if you are interested email me.
Old 07-30-2004, 06:44 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by maddboost
If you build a fiberglass properly it will be stiffer and have less flex and be lighter than a MDF box. All in the material and the person who makes it.

Im not a fan of Audiocontrols EPIC for DB measurement. We compared one in our shop to using Audiocontrols Spectrum Analyzer and placed the mic near the EPIC system and find it to be anywhere from 1.5 to 4 DBs off. After a call to Audiocontrol they said that was within spec and to not worry. Cant compare a $150 DB meter to a $1200 one. Big SPL numbers can be decieving. I made a 8" Kicker L7 hit 146.6 dbs in my camaro using a box that took me an hour to make but it sound like ***. The box you use is very important in determining output and sound quality. Id put JLs fiberglass box against any MDF box using a similar 10" sub and I guarantee the JL would kick its ***.
I never used an Epic 160, so I do not know its accuracy. I don't know the model number of our RTA, but it's the same one they use at SPL competitions, so I know it's accurate.

You mention SQ, and say that 3 JL 10's in their box will kick anythings ***. That is a very vague statement. Which fiberglass box our you talking about? I have never seen a 3 10 fiberglass box from JL. All of their boxes except for the stealth boxes are MDF as far as I know.

To get the most output of a woofer, you put it in a vented enclosure. Sealed boxes typically sound better in automobiles though. I am a dealer for Diamond, JL, Rockford, Eclipse, Memphis, and Clarion. I have used a 10w3 in the same little pocket box as I used the M6 (diamond) and the M6 sounds better and has better power handling (hence the reason it can get louder.) The W3 is much more efficient, and with only a couple hundred watts, it will out perform the M6. The M6 is much less efficient, but with about 1k watts it sounds great and still has the ability to get loud. The extra power gives the sub pleanty juice when needed which makes it very dynamic.

BTW, an L7 will always sound like ***, no matter what you do to it. That woofer was NEVER designed to sound good (ask anyone at Kicker, they will agree it was built for SPL). The L7 has very little suspension and is square which is just begging for a distorted sound. (Ever wonder why all high end speakers are round?) The woofer is very noisy as well. That woofer was designed for the Bronco because they were wasting so much space between woofers, this makes a 12" woofer 144 square inches of cone area as apposed to 113.1 square inches.