Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

4th Gen Aftermarket Rear Speakers - almost no mid/low?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2022, 11:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default 4th Gen Aftermarket Rear Speakers - almost no mid/low?

Not sure if I'd get a better response here or in the electronics forum, but I'll try here first.

My 2000 convertible has had every component of the original monsoon replaced - I wanted to be clear with that, it's all non-OE wiring, different headunit, different speakers. I am running everything through a 5 channel amp. I've started upgrading as I wasn't thrilled with what was in the car when I bought it 10 years ago....Orion C63 coaxial speakers. They just don't handle the power I wanted them to.

I picked up one set (pair) of 6.5" Pioneer A-Series. I intended to put them in both front and rear, but started with rear to ensure they'd clear the top mechanism.

Sadly, I am less than impressed with the sound quality...they just don't sound "full" - I seem to be missing a lot of mid and bass from them. I've swapped inputs from the HU (swapping front and rear, side to side), I've run a dedicated new speaker wire to them just to ensure it's not a hidden wiring problem, I've swapped output channels on the amp (front/rear, left/right) and the sound is consistently the same.

The older Orions still in the doors sound exponentially more "full" than these do. They don't seem to handle high volume as well as the Pioneers, but the overall range is ridiculously better.

Any experience or thoughts on this? Is that just the limitation of the convertible - does it have anything to do with the shape and open-ness of the rear "enclosure" that we have to live with?

My next plan is just to swap these A-Series into the doors and see how they sound. If I am happy, I'll have to decide how to proceed with the rear - get another pair of A-series, just leave them out and only run fronts, or put in something less expensive to fill a little and fade more to the front.

Is this just an inherent limitation in the convertible that I am not going to overcome?
Old 05-12-2022, 03:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 530 Likes on 380 Posts

Maybe the mods can move this to a better location. This 'convertibles' section is very quiet now and this really doesn't pertain to many that still post here. Good luck!
Old 05-13-2022, 07:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks - was thinking since this was a convertible-specific scenario I'd start here, but I see it's been moved to electronics.
The following users liked this post:
NC01TA (05-13-2022)

Quick Reply: 4th Gen Aftermarket Rear Speakers - almost no mid/low?