Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

1994 camaro z28 3 speaker

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2023, 07:46 PM
LTX
Launching!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default 1994 camaro z28 3 speaker

So my front passenger side speaker was sounding raspy/static & faded. Replaced it with a new 6.5” pioneer 300w speaker and sounds exactly the same.

would post videos but this site says my file is too big to post.
Old 02-06-2023, 08:18 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 280 Likes on 243 Posts

Is this a Bose system? If so, the speakers are special low impedance (1-ohm) units with built-in amplifiers. The Bose head unit provides pre-amp signal to each speaker amp which then powers its corresponding speaker. You can't replace them with an ordinary speaker like your Pioneer without significant rewiring.
Old 02-06-2023, 10:36 AM
LTX
Launching!

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Is this a Bose system? If so, the speakers are special low impedance (1-ohm) units with built-in amplifiers. The Bose head unit provides pre-amp signal to each speaker amp which then powers its corresponding speaker. You can't replace them with an ordinary speaker like your Pioneer without significant rewiring.
So what’s your advice on fixing it?
Old 02-07-2023, 07:54 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Unfortunately, there really isn't a simple solution to your particular issue. There are adapters which allow you to run an ordinary head unit in place of the Bose HU, but I've never seen an adapter that allows you to run aftermarket speakers while retaining the Bose HU. The Bose HU output is like headphone signal (low voltage, high impedance) so I suppose you could add an aftermarket amp that can handle that input and then replace the Bose speaker/amp combinations with ordinary speakers, but I haven't heard of anyone doing that (not that it couldn't work, just that I'm unaware of anyone trying it).

It may be possible to find OEM Bose speakers someplace online (new old stock or perhaps used on ebay). Another option might be to replace the Bose HU with a good aftermarket one which would allow you to use whatever speakers and amplifier you like. I believe you can even find installation kits which will allow installation of a double DIN sized head unit with all the features of newer systems like touch screen, equalizer, Bluetooth, MP3, etc. It depends on how much you want to spend on upgrading.
Old 02-07-2023, 02:12 PM
LTX
Launching!

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Unfortunately, there really isn't a simple solution to your particular issue. There are adapters which allow you to run an ordinary head unit in place of the Bose HU, but I've never seen an adapter that allows you to run aftermarket speakers while retaining the Bose HU. The Bose HU output is like headphone signal (low voltage, high impedance) so I suppose you could add an aftermarket amp that can handle that input and then replace the Bose speaker/amp combinations with ordinary speakers, but I haven't heard of anyone doing that (not that it couldn't work, just that I'm unaware of anyone trying it).

It may be possible to find OEM Bose speakers someplace online (new old stock or perhaps used on ebay). Another option might be to replace the Bose HU with a good aftermarket one which would allow you to use whatever speakers and amplifier you like. I believe you can even find installation kits which will allow installation of a double DIN sized head unit with all the features of newer systems like touch screen, equalizer, Bluetooth, MP3, etc. It depends on how much you want to spend on upgrading.
this may sound like a stupid idea but it it possible to rebuild factory HU? Will in a few short years effect the value of the car drastically.

I heard capacitors dry up in old stereos causing weird alien noises

Last edited by LTX; 02-07-2023 at 02:19 PM.
Old 02-08-2023, 07:25 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

There are some shops online who claim to repair various OEM head units including Bose and Monsoon. They commonly do very little for large amounts of money although there are some reputable ones out there.

It is possible but unlikely that the HU is the source of your problem if only one speaker channel is affected, especially with nearly 30-year-old speakers.

I assume that you are not keeping this car as an investment because if you were, you wouldn't be driving it enough to be concerned about sound quality issues and you wouldn't have started with installing an aftermarket speaker. Your daily driver or weekend warrior is unlikely to become a collectible where original parts are important. Consider it a "restomod" and set it up for your own enjoyment without worrying about future value.

Quick Reply: 1994 camaro z28 3 speaker