Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

I want the Monsoon back

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2024, 08:53 PM
Staging Lane

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

My used radio came from eBay - had to fix the *****, of course. I used the JB weld Super Weld super glue that uses the black light to set it quick. I pushed all of the metal keepers back in, and worked like a charm. The tuning ****, for some reason was stuck on the bezel and locked on the shaft. Took a little time & some elbow grease, but I got it freed up and working. It just doesn't recess back into the unit, but it changes the stations is all I care.

It did however come up locked. So I wanted to make certain I posted the GM numbers to reset a locked radio do still work.

I discovered now that I need to replace the door speakers, driver side is shot. Because now I can actually fade & balance shift the sound. I'll probably hold off and just get a Klee audio speaker kit and be done with it.

A pic for the glory!

Old 07-09-2024, 12:54 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,751 Likes on 1,251 Posts

The factory radio looks so much better than any of the aftermarket junk. Solid improvement!
The following 2 users liked this post by RPM WS6:
NC01TA (07-09-2024), WJ-Hurd (07-09-2024)
Old 07-09-2024, 08:58 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 530 Likes on 380 Posts

^^^ I hope my original Monsoon keeps lasting. CD's still work great after all these years. I wish the antenna didn't have to operate though with just the CD's playing. I have a feeling it will break before anything else. No decent radio stations here in rural NC so the antenna is never needed except when on a road trip.
The following users liked this post:
WJ-Hurd (07-09-2024)
Old 07-09-2024, 03:40 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by NC01TA
^^^ I hope my original Monsoon keeps lasting. CD's still work great after all these years. I wish the antenna didn't have to operate though with just the CD's playing. I have a feeling it will break before anything else. No decent radio stations here in rural NC so the antenna is never needed except when on a road trip.
You could always unplug the harness (power) to the antenna when not on a road trip. That will prevent it from rising. I used to do this every winter with the power antenna on my '96 Bonneville to prevent the snow and ice from damaging it, worked great and I didn't really need it extended anyway being so close to a major city.
The following 2 users liked this post by RPM WS6:
NC01TA (07-10-2024), WJ-Hurd (07-10-2024)
Old 07-10-2024, 07:28 AM
On The Tree

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a 2000SS with 55K on it, garage kept ect ect. in which I decided a long time ago just to maintain the Monsoon in it. I did the fancy 4 amps x 12 speakers stereo in my 89 I had and have no desire to back down that rabbit hole. About 5 years ago or so I noticed the sound was not up to snuff and checked out all the speakers. Well the foam surround was gone on just about all of them or at the minimum the glue had given up. I took the easy way out and just refoamed the speakers. Its been good since. Easy and cheap. Probably as easy to just replace the speakers but we all know the ratings on these don't make the decision easy and as I said I am not going down that rabbit hole again.

Anyway, refoaming is an option for the old speakers.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jolly:
NC01TA (07-10-2024), WJ-Hurd (07-10-2024)
Old 07-10-2024, 07:37 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
You could always unplug the harness (power) to the antenna when not on a road trip. That will prevent it from rising. I used to do this every winter with the power antenna on my '96 Bonneville to prevent the snow and ice from damaging it, worked great and I didn't really need it extended anyway being so close to a major city.
Is that in the trunk by the antenna? An unplug type of thing? I will definitely do that if it's easy.
WJ-Hurd (07-10-2024)
Old 07-10-2024, 01:27 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by NC01TA
Is that in the trunk by the antenna? An unplug type of thing? I will definitely do that if it's easy.
Yes, it's a standard GM type of plug - it would just unplug. But I keep forgetting that you have a convertible, so I'm not sure what's involved with gaining access to that area. On hardtop/T-top car, it's just a matter of opening the spare tire well (maybe moving the tire at most). I'm honestly not sure how that whole panel comes apart on a convertible.
NC01TA (07-10-2024)
Old 07-10-2024, 06:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Yes, it's a standard GM type of plug - it would just unplug. But I keep forgetting that you have a convertible, so I'm not sure what's involved with gaining access to that area. On hardtop/T-top car, it's just a matter of opening the spare tire well (maybe moving the tire at most). I'm honestly not sure how that whole panel comes apart on a convertible.
It's not difficult but I'll take a look and see. Thank you very much!
Old 07-15-2024, 10:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 153 Likes on 122 Posts

I have no desire to upgrade my Monsoon either. It sounds just as good as my wifes McIntosh sound in her Jeep Grand Cherokee L and Its as good as my 12 speaker Sony in my Flex.

Quick Reply: I want the Monsoon back