Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

I want the Monsoon back

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2023, 03:26 PM
Staging Lane

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default I want the Monsoon back

Yea yea yea - Y'all probably think I crazy for saying this, but I want the original Monsoon system in my car.
I'm sure I'll get a bit of bashing for this as well.

The car currently has a JVC Wal-Mart head unit that is plain junk. I hate the interface, supposed to have blue tooth and phone call - it doesn't work, and it supposed to have a remote - and that got lost. It flashes colors and is distracting when driving.
Sound wise, the 8 speaker system in the car is good, at least for me any how. I don't care about big thumping bass subs and amps and that stuff. I'd rather put my money elsewhere. I just want a good sound system that sounds good.... TO ME.

With that being said, I did read the Monsoon tech article, and from that I was able to see its a fairly standard GM setup, but I'd like to be 100% certain.
1998 Z28 with the 8 speaker Monsoon & Amp.
So I need to find one...
Can a Monsoon system from a different GM car like a Grand Prix or Lumina work in my setup? Can I go newer? Like a 99 or 2000? Or must I stick with my 93-98 years?

I know I will get more options and features out of a new unit - but I really only want an easier to use setup, and I don't mind CD's

Thanks gang - You all have always been very helpful

Last edited by WJ-Hurd; 12-14-2023 at 01:55 PM.
Old 12-14-2023, 03:29 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,692 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by WJ-Hurd
Yea yea yea - Y'all probably think I crazy for saying this, but I want the original Monsoon system in my car.
I'm sure I'll get a bit of bashing for this as well.
I know I will get more options and features out of a new unit - but I really only want an easier to use setup, and I don't mind CD's
Nothing wrong with this, I still have the stock system in my '98 and I really like the simplicity and clean/factory look of it. I also don't mind using CDs, I still have a TON of them in my possession (not to mention cassettes, and even some 8-tracks). I don't have a mullet, but I do have sideburns exactly like Buddy Repperton. Not kidding.

With that being said, I did read the Monsoon tech article, and from that I was able to see its a fairly standard GM setup, but I'd like to be 100% certain.
1998 Z28 with the 8 speaker Monsoon & Amp.
So I need to find one...
Can a Monsoon system from a different GM car like a Grand Prix or Lumina work in my setup? Can I go newer? Like a 99 or 2000? Or must I stick with my 93-98 years?
Do you know how much is left of the original system? Is the amp and factory wiring still intact? Was an adapter used for the replacement head unit, or have the wires been spliced?

I don't recall the Monsoon system appearing in F-body prior to 1998, not sure about any other models. In '96 and earlier, the premium F-body audio system was a Bose unit. Not sure what was used in 1997, but I don't think Bose or Monsoon were offered in that year to the best of my memory (someone please correct me if I am wrong).

For the best color match, you'd want a Monsoon radio from a 1998-99 car (interior trim RPO 14I, "Dark Gray") rather than a 2000-02 car (interior trim RPO 19I, "Ebony"). But functionally, I think any of those years will work. It's obviously important to make sure that you get one that isn't locked with a theft deterrent code (unless you also have the code). There used to be a service number that could be called to get an unlock code via a GM dealer (though some helpful folks posted the number and at least one dealer code in the Monsoon sticky) but I don't think that service is still supported. Just something to keep in mind while shopping for a unit.
Old 12-14-2023, 10:10 AM
Staging Lane

Do you know how much is left of the original system? Is the amp and factory wiring still intact? Was an adapter used for the replacement head unit, or have the wires been spliced?

I don't recall the Monsoon system appearing in F-body prior to 1998, not sure about any other models. In '96 and earlier, the premium F-body audio system was a Bose unit. Not sure what was used in 1997, but I don't think Bose or Monsoon were offered in that year to the best of my memory (someone please correct me if I am wrong).
Per my RPO codes - the car is a factory equipped 8 speaker setup. I have all of the factory speakers and amp in the rear hatch.

I have NOT pulled the head unit out yet, and I hope seeing how all of the current speakers are working, that they used a plug in kit to wire up this head unit. 🤞

Found the pic I took of it.
Old 12-14-2023, 10:42 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

'93-'96 Camaros had a Bose premium audio system... early models had a three speaker system (doors plus hatch subwoofer) while later models had a five speaker system (doors, sail panels and hatch subwoofer). '93-'96 Firebirds had an unnamed premium audio system (listed simply as premium 10-speaker system) which was very similar to the Monsoon except that only the sail panel subs were powered by the amp. '97 and newer F-bodies came with the Monsoon system as the premium audio option.

The various Monsoon head units are all functionally equivalent except that Camaro units have speed compensated volume while Firebird units have graphic equalizer controls on the face. The only significant difference between years (other than color) is the ability to use an external auxiliary input adapter - if you can still find one these days. If you install a cassette head unit then you don't have to worry - all years support the adapter. But if you get the more desirable CD head unit then only late '99 and newer models can support the external auxiliary input adapter.

If you want to use a head unit from a different GM model then you are best to avoid Monsoon models. The Monsoon system in different GM models varies in design. That was the whole point of Monsoon systems - they were custom designed for the specific models they fit. Sometimes the differences were only in the amp and speakers, but sometimes there were differences in the head units themselves. F-bodies were fortunate in that Monsoon head units are nothing special at all except for the Monsoon label on the face. That means that any GM Delco 1.5 DIN head unit from about 1988 on will fit and work in place of the original "Monsoon" head unit. Find one that has the configuration you need (face color, speed compensating volume, power antenna, CD changer compatibility for auxiliary adapter, etc.) and it will be plug-an-play. That's assuming that the JVC was installed with an adapter harness rather than cutting and splicing wires. But, even if the wires were spliced, you can fix that with a replacement OEM connector from Metra (part number 71-1858).

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 12-14-2023 at 10:46 AM. Reason: Corrected years for audio systems
Old 12-14-2023, 01:02 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
'97 and newer F-bodies came with the Monsoon system as the premium audio option.
1997, at least from the Camaro side, did not list "Monsoon" on the window sticker as the premium ($450) audio option, nor were the head units marked as "Monsoon" (unlike the 1998+ cars). But you're saying that all the components are the same for '97 (vs. '98) other than the lack of markings? I just want to confirm as it's a missing data point for me; I really wasn't sure what was offered in '97, but I knew it wasn't the Bose setup from '96 and earlier nor was it marked as Monsoon in any obvious way.

...But if you get the more desirable CD head unit then only late '99 and newer models can support the external auxiliary input adapter.
Good info here. I recall the CD changer being an option at least as far back as 1998 (RPO U1S) with a cassette player, but I thought I remembered hearing something about the early CD players not being able to support this. I didn't realize that the change was made within the (late) '99 model year.
Old 12-14-2023, 01:57 PM
TECH Regular

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

and it supposed to have a remote - and that got lost. It flashes colors and is distracting when driving.
Have you downloaded a PDF owner's manual to see if you can change the colors/visuals of the head unit? Some head units has this as a default "demonstration mode" that can be changed somewhere in settings. You should be able to find the remote's part number and see if eBay has a used one you can maybe pick up for under $20? Looking on eBay I see Camaro CD Monsoon head units are around $150 but this would work only if the installer used a wiring harness and didn't hack the install. There are a ton of head units for Grand Ams, Firebirds, and other GM cars so hopefully someone on here has tried one of these and can confirm if they can work with the amp or not.
Old 12-14-2023, 02:10 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
1997, at least from the Camaro side, did not list "Monsoon" on the window sticker as the premium ($450) audio option, nor were the head units marked as "Monsoon" (unlike the 1998+ cars). But you're saying that all the components are the same for '97 (vs. '98) other than the lack of markings? I just want to confirm as it's a missing data point for me; I really wasn't sure what was offered in '97, but I knew it wasn't the Bose setup from '96 and earlier nor was it marked as Monsoon in any obvious way.
Haha...I should have re-read the Monsoon sticky first! @WhiteBird00 already answered my question there.

Looking over an SPID sticker from a '97 SS, I can see that it uses the same RPO for audio system as my '98 (meaning UL0 for the CD player, and U7Z for the "enhanced speaker system"). Reuse of RPOs doesn't always indicate that the components are of the same exact construction, but you do indicate in the sticky that it's the same system other than the amp being a bit (physically) smaller on the '97s and early '98s.

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Good info here. I recall the CD changer being an option at least as far back as 1998 (RPO U1S) with a cassette player, but I thought I remembered hearing something about the early CD players not being able to support this. I didn't realize that the change was made within the (late) '99 model year.
I also see that the sticky indicates details about this aspect as well. Again, I should have re-read it first. Guess it's been quite a while since I looked at that data.
Old 12-14-2023, 02:17 PM
Staging Lane

Great stuff!
So what should I look for?
As I said I have the RPO code showing the Monsoon as the system

UZ7 = SPEAKER SYSTEM 8, QUAD FRT DR MTD, DUAL SAIL PNL, DUAL RR HATCH, AMPLIFIER

I want the most compatible setup, and AUX would be nice, but not a deal breaker.
I see these refurbs on eBay - The one with the AUX port are saying 99+ Can I put a 99 or newer head unit in? I would assume it needs to be a MONSOON head unit to get the full use of the amp and such, or no?
This one as an example eBay Monsoon unit

Thanks again guys!
Old 12-14-2023, 03:48 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

No, it does not need to be a "Monsoon" head unit unless you want the Monsoon label on the face. Otherwise, the head unit used in the Camaro base (4 speaker) audio system is the same as the one used in Monsoon systems. The "magic" was all in the amp configuration and the speaker layout.

If you aren't concerned about the different face color of the newer models then there is a Monsoon CD unit for 00-02 listed on ebay for $215. That will give you everything that your factory system had plus the ability to use an auxiliary input adapter (again, if you can find one since they've been discontinued for some time now). Personally, I wouldn't think that the darker face color would look any worse than a single DIN head unit mounted in the 1.5 DIN opening... very obviously aftermarket.

There are quite a number of others listed there, but many don't specify the year except for a 97-02 range and some are missing parts like ***** or say that they need to be unlocked (as mentioned previously, the unlocking phone numbers seem to have been taken down). You might want to contact the seller and pin them down on the year (there's a manufactured date label on the head unit even if they don't know what model year car it came from) and whether it's locked. The majority will not be locked because it wasn't done at the factory and most owners didn't bother - often because they never read the owner's manual and weren't aware of the option.

Bear in mind that for a little more than that $215 you could get a double DIN head unit along with the updated trim bezel and wiring harness adapter. Once installed they look very much like a factory unit except for having their brand name on the face. They have customizable lighting color to match your dash and include many modern options like Bluetooth and auxiliary input, even Apple CarPlay, Android Auto, or built-in navigation. With the harness adapter they are completely plug-and-play. Just something to consider if you're looking for decent audio and aren't too concerned about OEM appearance. I say "decent audio" because the Delco original head units were distortion creating machines - the very worst piece of the Monsoon system.
The following users liked this post:
WJ-Hurd (07-02-2024)
Old 12-14-2023, 06:06 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

No, it does not need to be a "Monsoon" head unit unless you want the Monsoon label on the face. Otherwise, the head unit used in the Camaro base (4 speaker) audio system is the same as the one used in Monsoon systems. The "magic" was all in the amp configuration and the speaker layout.
My understanding was that the most base Camaro radio (at least through 2001, not sure about '02) didn't look anything like the units used with the Monsoon setup. I believe this was under RPO UM6. I have a couple pictures of this in a 2000 Camaro (extreme base V6 car, no power options, plastic wheel covers, etc.):

Is this the one you're referring to as the "base" version, or do you mean one that looks cosmetically the same as the Monsoon version other than not having the insignia? Are they all equally compatible?
WJ-Hurd (07-02-2024)
Old 12-15-2023, 08:18 AM
Staging Lane

Have you downloaded a PDF owner's manual to see if you can change the colors/visuals of the head unit? Some head units has this as a default "demonstration mode" that can be changed somewhere in settings. You should be able to find the remote's part number and see if eBay has a used one you can maybe pick up for under $20?

You I did, and set it up how I thought would be the least distracting, and after 2 days of sitting, it reverted back and was driving me nuts. It has also lost its saved stations, and audio setup on me as well.
It's just plain junk.

Now this is good to know! That helps my search exponentially!

Bear in mind that for a little more than that $215 you could get a double DIN head unit along with the updated trim bezel and wiring harness adapter. Once installed they look very much like a factory unit except for having their brand name on the face. They have customizable lighting color to match your dash and include many modern options like Bluetooth and auxiliary input, even Apple CarPlay, Android Auto, or built-in navigation. With the harness adapter they are completely plug-and-play. Just something to consider if you're looking for decent audio and aren't too concerned about OEM appearance. I say "decent audio" because the Delco original head units were distortion creating machines - the very worst piece of the Monsoon system.

I'm on the fence about this, and I have found a couple of touch screen double DIN setups that have my interest, one even has GPS built in.

BOSS Audio BV960NV

This one has my interest, has very good reviews as well.

But as I said, I was trying to keep it simple. I don't want to take away the "vintage" appeal of the car, and not over teching it out.

Old 12-15-2023, 08:29 AM
Launching!

Received 94 Likes on 84 Posts

there's a guy Noe Saldivar on FB that sells monsoons with bluetooth installed. He can also add the BT if you have the stereo already.
WJ-Hurd (12-15-2023)
Old 12-15-2023, 12:41 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

But as I said, I was trying to keep it simple. I don't want to take away the "vintage" appeal of the car, and not over teching it out.
If that's the goal, I'd avoid anything with a touch screen.
WJ-Hurd (12-15-2023)
Old 12-27-2023, 05:18 AM
Teching In

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I just got the BOSSBV800ACP for Christmas with the new trim plate
WJ-Hurd (12-27-2023)
Old 12-27-2023, 08:12 AM
Staging Lane

How do you like it so far?
Old 12-27-2023, 08:32 AM
Teching In

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

So far so good, took a bit to dial in the equalizer but once I did it sounds great
WJ-Hurd (07-02-2024)
Old 07-02-2024, 12:59 PM
Staging Lane

To bring this feed back from the dead. I was finally able to open up the dash and check the harness. Its untouched, and the used a wiring kit for the install.

I ordered a tested and unlocked unit and I wait its arrival. I did open up the spare tire well, and was kind of disappointed that there was no amp there.
So my RPO code - UN0 RADIO, AM/FM STEREO, SEEK/SCAN, CD, AUTO TONE, CLOCK AND ETR I guess this is just the base level CD/Stereo system then?

So the question I pose - Can I put a full Monsoon system in my car? Or was this not a pre-wired option in my year?

Also - I have seen links for the Kee Audio - Is this still the best place for a speaker upgrade?

Thank you all in advance!
Old 07-02-2024, 01:07 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

It would not be practical to convert a base audio system into a Monsoon system. The car would not have the wiring and you would only gain a little amplification plus some signal filtering and a pair of rear fill speakers in the hatch area. In many ways, the base audio is easier to upgrade... the four speakers (doors and sail panels) are simply ordinary full range speakers although the sail panel speakers were called "extended range" by GM - a meaningless marketing term (they are 10-ohm but that's just to reduce their output for rear fill purposes and has nothing to do with sound performance). You are free to add whatever 6.5" speakers you like depending on your budget and adding an aftermarket 4-channel amp can make a world of difference for a reasonable cost.
WJ-Hurd (07-02-2024)
Old 07-02-2024, 01:24 PM
Staging Lane

Talking

I think I may have misspoke - I do have the factory Monsoon system.

So I went looking for the amp in the hatch - all I saw was the black cover next to the spare. Upon further research, the amp is NOT exposed. I stuck my hand up in there, and found the amp. So my car does have the factory Monsoon.
I was questioning this, as I have the hatch speakers, sail panel speakers and door speakers.

WhiteBird00 - thank you for your wisdom.
Tell me your thoughts on those Kee speaker kits? My goal will just to upgrade current speakers for good tunes. Nothing more.

Again - thank you all for your feedback and knowledge.
Old 07-02-2024, 01:35 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Ahhh... that's a different situation. A stock Monsoon system is best improved by replacing the head unit which is known to produce lots of distortion at higher volumes, but many people want to maintain the stock look so that isn't an option. Replacing the stock speakers with one of the Kee Audio kits, with or without a head unit replacement, will provide a noticeable improvement in sound. If you're not upgrading the HU then I would recommend just staying with the level 1 kit since it will provide the most bang for the buck in that situation - the higher level kits would be under-utilized with the factory HU.

There are less expensive ways to assemble a Monsoon speaker update, but with the Camaro specifically, the convertible components for the doors are the hardest to find, so Ian's kit is well tested and highly regarded.
WJ-Hurd (07-02-2024)

Quick Reply: I want the Monsoon back