Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Radio controls dead.

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2024, 08:02 AM
Staging Lane

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Radio controls dead.

Not just the steering wheel controls. Nothing works except the power button and it will not change volume or stations or anything. All it does is turn on. I have no other problems, windows, locks, security, lights are fine. I saw a post about possible bad BCM but can't find it now. Anyone have a clue or can point me towards a solution?

2000 Formula BMR CAB342R upper mounts, tubular BMR AA004R upper CA's -1.25 BMR SP001R springs QA1 TS501 rear/GS502 front.
Old 04-21-2024, 06:17 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 352 Likes on 321 Posts

Moving to Stereo and Electronics.

If there was a BCM problem, the radio would be 100% dead. This sounds to me like there is an issue in the head unit.
The following users liked this post:
Bruthajoe (05-01-2024)
Old 04-22-2024, 10:37 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 278 Likes on 242 Posts

When you say it turns on, does it actually output any audio or does it just show the display? There are two power supplies for the head unit. One is battery (constant) power for the clock and station memory which will allow the clock display to work as well as allowing the ejection of CDs. The other is ignition/accessory power which is what makes the thing work. If you have only clock functions then check the RADIO fuse in the dash fuse panel. Never rely on a visual inspection of a fuse (especially a really old one like in these cars) as it can be blown without showing a physical break in the filament. Always use a fuse tester or multimeter to test the fuse or, better yet, just replace it with a known good fuse.

The BCM would only be suspect if the windows also didn't work because it controls the Retained Accessory Power (RAP) circuit which allows the radio and windows to continue operating for a while after the ignition is turned off. Since your windows are working, the BCM is not the problem here.
The following users liked this post:
Bruthajoe (05-01-2024)
Old 05-01-2024, 01:50 PM
Staging Lane

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
When you say it turns on, does it actually output any audio or does it just show the display? There are two power supplies for the head unit. One is battery (constant) power for the clock and station memory which will allow the clock display to work as well as allowing the ejection of CDs. .

The BCM would only be suspect if the windows also didn't work because it controls the Retained Accessory Power (RAP) circuit which allows the radio and windows to continue operating for a while after the ignition is turned off. Since your windows are working, the BCM is not the problem here.
Thanks yes. It does output, everything literally works except for the controls ( including the steering wheel). I am stuck on the same station and the same volume.

Quick Reply: Radio controls dead.