Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Power antenna issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2024, 05:57 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power antenna issues

Replacing my power antenna, purchased new old stock from eBay, wires are different colors from the old ones. I know on the car side orange is constant per, pink is radio on/off power and black is ground?
The new Antenna actually matches a wiring diagram, wire colors are gray on one side, green in the middle and white on the other side. I have tried several different combinations of where to put the wires, sometimes it will go up or down, but not consistent, any help would be greatly appreciated.
99 Trans Am
Old 05-17-2024, 04:26 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 278 Likes on 242 Posts

If the antenna was NOS and the right part for the vehicle (not just a GM power antenna from an unknown model) then it should just plug in and work... the wire colors won't matter. You have the correct purposes for the three factory wires - orange is constant (battery) power, pink is power to raise and maintain the antenna up (it's not just a momentary signal, the power has to be there to keep the antenna raised), and black is ground.
The following users liked this post:
D61100 (05-18-2024)
Old 05-17-2024, 04:55 PM
TECH Resident

Received 252 Likes on 184 Posts

Did you possibly blow a fuse by mixing the wires?
Old 05-18-2024, 05:56 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Checked all the fuses, they are good, the part number was different. I did check with GM both #'s do fit f-bodys, but only the original part # shows up when checked by vin. According to seller they were AC Delco NOS, and he has sold many with no issues
Old 05-19-2024, 02:35 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 278 Likes on 242 Posts

Double check the RADIO ACCY fuse... that's the one which protects the power antenna. Never rely on a visual inspection of an old fuse - they can look fine but still be blown. Always use a fuse tester or multimeter, or replace with a known good fuse.

Other than that, I don't have a lot to offer other than trial and error. It's probably safe to assume that the ground wire does not go to the middle pin since that's the factory configuration. So, you can try connecting one outer pin to ground and both of the other pins to power (use jumpers connected directly to the battery or a bench power supply to eliminate any possibility of bad power or ground) - the antenna should extend and stay extended. If not, swap the two outer pins and see if that works. The only other possibility is the unlikely setup of the ground being the center pin.

If none of those combinations work then the antenna is faulty... it will be up to you to convince the vendor that you didn't break it.

If you find a working combination then you'll only have to determine which power needs to be constant and which is the signal. Simply remove one power wire and see if the antenna retracts. If it does then that's the signal wire, otherwise the other power wire is the signal.
The following users liked this post:
D61100 (05-19-2024)

Quick Reply: Power antenna issues