Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Is SPDIF optical becoming mainstream in car audio?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2024, 01:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 177 Likes on 136 Posts

Default Is SPDIF optical becoming mainstream in car audio?

I have noticed that just about every DSP that I have looked at has an optical SPDIF input. Used to be only Joying had a head unit with optical output, but now Alpine and Stinger have options (not sure if Stinger is any good). Is this starting to finally catch on with the major brands in car audio?

Optical has been the norm for home theater for over a decade. Hell, the PlayStation 2 had an optical out.

I am at least a year away from the TA stereo project, and I am hoping that a quality Android Auto headunit will have optical SPDIF by then.
Old 05-15-2024, 04:37 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

yea it's a lot more common in the in the euro markets but we are also getting more parts to integrate with them. i typically use the optic for a loop back and use that global eq when using dsp
Old 05-15-2024, 04:49 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by scottie dont
yea it's a lot more common in the in the euro markets but we are also getting more parts to integrate with them. i typically use the optic for a loop back and use that global eq when using dsp
I just like the idea of one cable vs 6 to the DSP.
Old 05-16-2024, 10:05 AM
TECH Regular

yea there are a few trade off's. keep in mind i'm a bonkers audiophile and i do car audio strictly to tune cars. the rca's to me seem to be more lively than your typical optical setup. for testing this i made a tune and copied it, on the copied tune i changed it to optic input. for source i used an A&K sp3000 DAP. i preferred the rca (balanced) tune over the optic. what dsp are you running?
Old 05-16-2024, 12:25 PM
TECH Addict

yea there are a few trade off's. keep in mind i'm a bonkers audiophile and i do car audio strictly to tune cars. the rca's to me seem to be more lively than your typical optical setup. for testing this i made a tune and copied it, on the copied tune i changed it to optic input. for source i used an A&K sp3000 DAP. i preferred the rca (balanced) tune over the optic. what dsp are you running?
None yet. I am planning on using mini-DSP C-DSP 8x12 DL
Old 05-16-2024, 02:23 PM
TECH Regular

that's a cool unit. the 32bit processing doesn't gain you much unless you are using a dap with it's own input. but the fact that you have enough inputs that you could run a tune with radio inputs, another tune with dap inputs, etc is pretty awesome.

are you using a single mic to tune? i started with a single mic and now i'm using a 5 mic array
Old 05-20-2024, 09:04 PM
TECH Addict

that's a cool unit. the 32bit processing doesn't gain you much unless you are using a dap with it's own input. but the fact that you have enough inputs that you could run a tune with radio inputs, another tune with dap inputs, etc is pretty awesome.

are you using a single mic to tune? i started with a single mic and now i'm using a 5 mic array
Just one. I tinkered with a PC based RTA.

Quick Reply: Is SPDIF optical becoming mainstream in car audio?