Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

BCM issue??

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2024, 12:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BCM issue??

For a while, my head unit would randomly stop working while driving. Sometimes it would be after a bump in the road or it would just be random. So my radio would stop working, whatever, the main problem with that is whenever the head unit would turn off, my windows would stop working. No power, couldn't roll them down or up. So I thought to replace the head unit, but when I replaced the head unit the same problems are still there and now on top of all that, my interior lights don't turn off while I'm driving. They'll turn off about 10 minutes after I turn the car off, but while on the lights stay on. Do you think this could be a BCM issue?? pls help
Old 05-20-2024, 03:51 PM
TECH Regular

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

To me it sounds like a ground problem. There is a sticky that shows all the ground points and you could check the wires at those to make sure they are still tight and the wires aren't corroded. By coming on and working then going off and coming back on, especially when a bump is involved it seems something is physically moving around. If the BCM was damaged it would work or not work or stop working when it got too hot.
Old 05-21-2024, 10:41 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

A ground problem is not a bad guess given the symptoms, but in this case the problem is actually a cracked cold solder point inside the BCM. This issue has been discussed frequently in these forums. The cracked solder point causes intermittent failure of the Retained Accessory Power (RAP) circuit which powers the radio and power windows allowing them to remain powered for several minutes after shutting off the ignition.

The definitive thread describing the problem and showing the fix is here: https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...blems-fix.html. The thread has become quite lengthy over the years and some of the earlier photos are missing, but they have been replaced in later posts.

Quick Reply: BCM issue??