Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Tail light wiring issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2024, 02:12 PM
Teching In

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Tail light wiring issue

Hi everyone,

I have a 1995 camaro z28 however it's an expert model. It never had rear marker lights and the euro spec lights.

The passenger side bulb is very dim and the previous owner wired an led strip in to the tail light. I've since removed that and still no success, it's also causing a dim brake light.

The bulb holder has some corrosion which I've cleaned off.

All my wiring diagrams are for the US model which show a seperate tail light bulb which I don't have, does anyone have any tips or correct wiring diagram and where is the ground located for the rear lights.

​​​​​.
Old 07-02-2024, 09:38 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 278 Likes on 242 Posts

Sorry, my factory schematics only go back to 1998. I do have a Haynes manual for the 93-97, but I've learned to use their schematics only as a general guide because they are labeled "typical wiring" and are not always accurate. Still, they show that the tail lights all ground to a bot on the hatch release bracket in the rear center of the car. That might be a place to start.

As an export model, it looks like the tail lights are similar to the later models with a single red brake/running light, an amber turn signal, and white backup lights. If that's the case then maybe the wiring is similar to the later model 4th generation Camaros. GM is generally loathe to change wiring in any significant way... they've used yellow for left rear signal and dark green for right rear signal for many generations of cars.

Here is the 98+ Camaro tail lights schematic in case it helps with sorting out what you have...

I think you can just ignore the listed outer tail light bulbs - even if they aren't in your tail lights the rest of the wiring is probably very similar, at least close enough to provide some guidance.
Old 07-02-2024, 12:31 PM
Teching In

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Sorry, my factory schematics only go back to 1998. I do have a Haynes manual for the 93-97, but I've learned to use their schematics only as a general guide because they are labeled "typical wiring" and are not always accurate. Still, they show that the tail lights all ground to a bot on the hatch release bracket in the rear center of the car. That might be a place to start.

As an export model, it looks like the tail lights are similar to the later models with a single red brake/running light, an amber turn signal, and white backup lights. If that's the case then maybe the wiring is similar to the later model 4th generation Camaros. GM is generally loathe to change wiring in any significant way... they've used yellow for left rear signal and dark green for right rear signal for many generations of cars.

Here is the 98+ Camaro tail lights schematic in case it helps with sorting out what you have...

I think you can just ignore the listed outer tail light bulbs - even if they aren't in your tail lights the rest of the wiring is probably very similar, at least close enough to provide some guidance.

Amazing, thank you!

One reason why I love this forum, people know their stuff and always happy to hell!

Quick Reply: Tail light wiring issue