Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

95 Trans Am Power Door Locks don’t work…

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2024, 02:54 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 Trans Am Power Door Locks don’t work…

I have a 1995 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am and my power door locks don’t work. From pushing the lock/unlock button from the interior to pushing the lock/unlock button on the key fob, none of it works… Also when I push the trunk release button on the key fob nothing happens. I put in new door lock actuators and still nothing. My car did come factory with power door locks, so I was wondering what I should take a look at. Would it be the BCM? I’m not sure if there’s any way to fix it or would I need to source a new one? Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Old 08-08-2024, 01:47 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 278 Likes on 242 Posts

The '95 Firebird does not have a BCM like later models. The keyless entry system is controlled by a keyless entry receiver module which is mounted in a pocket behind the right kick panel (your photo).

Have you checked fuses? There are three fuses involved in the keyless entry system... fuse #7 - PWR ACCY, fuse #8 - COURTESY, and fuse #9 - GAUGES. Based on your symptoms, I would suspect the COURTESY fuse first because it directly powers the hatch release actuator along with the keyless module. The PWR ACCY fuse directly powers the door locks when using the door switches, but it is only powered when the ignition is on or during the 10 minutes or so after shut off through the retained accessory power system. Perhaps you haven't tried using the door lock switches while the ignition is on? If you have then the PWR ACCY fuse could also be blown. I doubt it would be a blown GAUGES fuse because it would cause other symptoms besides the door lock and hatch release, but it can't hurt to check it anyway.

In any case, never trust a visual inspection of a fuse - especially a nearly 30 year old fuse - because they can be blown even if they look fine. Always use a fuse tester or multimeter, or just replace with a known good fuse since they're so inexpensive.

Quick Reply: 95 Trans Am Power Door Locks don’t work…