Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Sirius PnP Reception

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2004, 09:45 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sirius PnP Reception

Sirius PnP Reception
So just how reliable is the Sirius Plug~N~Play reception?

I am getting awesome, uniterrupted reception at home with the antenna facing south in a window sill. But I had the mobile docking station installed in my Firehawk yesterday (custom install so as not to mar the original interior) and the reception was horrible on 88.1, 88.3 and 88.5.

Might be because we have local stations in the range, but it seemed to be more accurate at 88.7?

Had the antenna installed on the dash, centered, for 360 degree reception. No way was I putting an antenna on the outside of a Firehawk!!!

Wireless FM modulated sound is a little tinty, reception keeps cutting in and out "Acquiring Signal". I'm not too impressed with it so far. Any ideas on how to improve it for a more steady stream of music without constant interruptions??? I can control the "hissing" sounds with the graphic equalizer so far...
Old 07-29-2004, 11:15 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Here is how I connected my XM unit without FM:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/wiring-stereo-electronics/194183-advice-sirius-radio.html

If you want better reception, get a larger antenna and put it outside the vehicle. The body of the car and the coating on the glass can cause interference since they basically act like shielding. I seem to remember someone on here hiding the antenna in the wing, but I think it was a Formula wing.
Old 07-30-2004, 05:47 AM
Launching!

Get the adapter so you can have a direct audio connection, that will help a lot, then mount the antenna in the wing. (It only works if you have a non-metallic color) Remove the trim piece on the hatch, insert the antenna through the third brake light, and route the antenna cable down the path of the wiring in the hatch and through the grommet.

I can't confirm that this works, I'll be attempting it tonight on my T/A.
Old 07-30-2004, 10:23 AM
TECH Regular

I've heard of others hiding the antenna in the spoiler, but everything about satellite says it has to be "line of sight" or it won't work. And...I'm driving a Sunset Orange Metallic, so that might be the kiss of death again for an interesting idea?
Old 07-30-2004, 12:17 PM
Launching!

The material the spoiler is made out of is transparent to the signal, but the metallic flakes in your SOM unfortuntely are not. I'm really not sure what to suggest here... I'm just hoping that the wing mounting works for me.
Old 08-01-2004, 11:40 PM
Staging Lane

Can you give me a link for the direct audio connection?? I got sirius in my wife's Lexus and I really don't like FM Modulation .. It sounds like AM to me.. When I flip to a regular FM station it sounds so much better than the Sirius brodcast..
Old 08-02-2004, 06:56 AM
Launching!

http://www.myradiostore.us/auxadapte...r/gm9-aux.html
Old 08-02-2004, 01:32 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the link darkside .. Will that work with an aftermarket radio??
Old 08-02-2004, 01:51 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by slowtan
Thanks for the link darkside .. Will that work with an aftermarket radio??
No, it's designed to plug into the 9-pin CD changer connection on a factory radio.

However, many aftermarket radios don't need an adapter - they have RCA input jacks on the head unit that you can plug your satellite radio into directly.
Old 08-02-2004, 08:39 PM
TECH Regular

Looks exactly like what I need! I can't stand the "Frying" sound with the wireless FM modulator. It's a shame they don't tell you about all this when you're buying the units...