Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Day time runing lights

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 07:16 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

Contrary to what the new guy posted above, the DRL module wiring for all 98-02 Camaros and Firebirds are identical. You WILL find the pair of light blue wires and the pair of dark blue wires (one of each with a white stripe and one each without) that pass the turn signal power to the front lamps.

For those who say you can just unplug one of the DRL module plugs, you cause side effects by doing that. For example, if you have a manual transmission, you will no longer be able to pop the hatch from the inside switch. And all models will lose their BRAKE indicator light on the dash.

There is a very slick mod to disable DRLs that involves soldering a connection on the DRL module board. The only thing I don't like about that is it would be nearly impossible to discover if another owner wanted to restore the DRLs. Connecting the wires outside the module is easily reversible.
Old 06-08-2012, 07:42 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i did what whitebird did in the beginning, took the optic lens out under the dash and scotch locked them together.. no more "auto headlights" but still have the "Parking lights"
i like that look with the bright yellows.
Old 06-08-2012, 08:52 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
OK, I'm back and I have my documentation.

To "permanently" disable the daytime running lights, pull the radio so you can get to the DRL module mounted behind it. Cut the light blue, light blue with white stripe, dark blue and dark blue with white stripe wires. Connect the harness end of the light blue wire to the light blue with white stripe wire. Similarly, connect the harness ends of the dark blue and dark blue with white stripe wire. (Just cutting the wires will disable the DRLs but you have to splice them together to prevent losing your front turn signals as well.)

In effect, you are bypassing the DRL module by connecting the white-striped input wires directly to the no-stripe output wires for each side (light blue is left side and dark blue is right side).
So this then is the best method for disabling them correct?
If so I'm definitely doin this when I do my dash swap.
Old 06-08-2012, 10:34 AM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

OK so just to be clear, the Harness end is .......... once I cut the wires , the wires in the PLUG itself are the ones I connect together?
Old 06-08-2012, 12:37 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

No, the ones you connect are the ones on the harness going into the car. You will end up with four unconnected wire stubs in the connector for the DRL module. You should tape them up to prevent the possibility of shorting out.
Old 06-08-2012, 12:45 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Bear in mind that I am just providing instructions for those who have already decided they want to eliminate DRLs. Personally, I think the amber DRLs look good and are a valuable safety feature. In fact, one of the first things I did on my Mustang was install a kit to provide DRLs since it didn't have them from the factory.
Old 06-08-2012, 05:21 PM
TECH Addict

Thanx WhiteBird00, I appreciate the help. I personally don't like the parking lights on all the time. Far as Safety......well if someone can't see a 3000 lb. big blue thing coming then they probably won't see those little yellow lights. My Honda has the Headlights as running lights, I can understand using the Big bright White Lights. lol.
Old 06-09-2012, 04:16 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
OK, I'm back and I have my documentation.

To "permanently" disable the daytime running lights, pull the radio so you can get to the DRL module mounted behind it. Cut the light blue, light blue with white stripe, dark blue and dark blue with white stripe wires. Connect the harness end of the light blue wire to the light blue with white stripe wire. Similarly, connect the harness ends of the dark blue and dark blue with white stripe wire. (Just cutting the wires will disable the DRLs but you have to splice them together to prevent losing your front turn signals as well.)

In effect, you are bypassing the DRL module by connecting the white-striped input wires directly to the no-stripe output wires for each side (light blue is left side and dark blue is right side).
OK I'm assuming the DRL module is that little black box maybe 3" x 3"behind the radio to the right. I can get it off of it's bracket but there is no way I can get to the harness to cut the wires. Is there another location where I can cut these wires?
Old 06-10-2012, 08:18 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Yes, the DRL module is the black box attached to the defroster duct behind the radio. If you unplug the harness from the module, there should be enough slack that you can do the "surgery". It is cramped reaching through the radio opening but it is possible. Unfortunately, that is the only location where the wires are close together.

If you can't get to the wires then the option of soldering the connection inside the module might be easier since you can do it outside the car. I would suggest putting a label on the outside of the module showing what was done in case you (or a future owner) ever want to go back to stock for whatever reason.
Old 06-10-2012, 09:31 AM
TECH Addict

Thanx, I guess I will re-think this one. There is absolutely no slack in those wires. I guess it was assembled before the dash went on.
Old 06-10-2012, 02:04 PM
Teching In

This might be asking too much but I'll go ahead and ask. Is it possible to have auto headlights, but switched dtrl's. I don't want the my dtrl's burning out obviously but I also like the auto headlights. I've read this thread three times and I can't seem to find this compromise. I'd like to be able to have the dtrl's on during night time driving by actually using the switch inside but not have them come on automatically when the headlights come on or on all te time for that matter. Tell me there is a way.
Old 06-10-2012, 03:54 PM
TECH Addict

I believe that if you cut the wires that will stop them from coming on automatically but at night when you TURN ON the headlights using the switch they will come on. They call them Parking Lights. Correct me if I am wrong. lol now don't everyone jump at once.
Old 06-10-2012, 04:27 PM
Teching In

When u say "cut the wires" are u saying just cutting the light blue/white striped light blue and same for dark blue wires and then connecting them like whitebird said? And this will allow the parking lights go be switched on at my choosing from the control switch?
Old 06-10-2012, 05:19 PM
TECH Addict

I believe so, if not why not just take the bulbs out if they won't work??
Old 06-10-2012, 05:41 PM
Teching In

Not sure what u mean by "take the bulbs out If they don't work" bc they are working and I LIKE/want the look of the amber lights AT Night and I think they are good for safety as well. (Don't wana get t boned) I just want to have the choice of having them off in the day like u could in say my 93 or 96 but come nightfall turn them on with the first right flip (notch) of the light switch while ALSO retaining automatic headlights. I just dont want the parking lights running all day everyday when my car is on. If what u say is true, then that's exactly what I am looking for. If not then maybe like I said I'm being picky. I just think there has to be a way to accomplish this. Why else would they even have the switch inside? Why would anyone turn their headlights on during the day???? Seems ti me that switch is just a vestigial remnant of a once necessary application.
Old 06-10-2012, 06:18 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by muSSel
Not sure what u mean by "take the bulbs out If they don't work" bc they are working and I LIKE/want the look of the amber lights AT Night and I think they are good for safety as well. (Don't wana get t boned) I just want to have the choice of having them off in the day like u could in say my 93 or 96 but come nightfall turn them on with the first right flip (notch) of the light switch while ALSO retaining automatic headlights. I just dont want the parking lights running all day everyday when my car is on. If what u say is true, then that's exactly what I am looking for. If not then maybe like I said I'm being picky. I just think there has to be a way to accomplish this. Why else would they even have the switch inside? Why would anyone turn their headlights on during the day???? Seems ti me that switch is just a vestigial remnant of a once necessary application.
If you cut the wires to disable the Amber cornering lights you will lose turn signal functionality I believe. I am sure you could engineer your own circuit, hell its only wires, but it would be complicated and I doubt anyone here has bothered in the past so the probability of someone telling you exactly how to do it is slim.

Your best bet is to just disable both systems and use the switch when you need lights.

Personally I just went thru my car today to fix my fog light switch. I did the mod that allows for high beams and fogs but only did the first half of the tutorial. Stupid me, lol. Anyways the point I am getting to is that I pulled my module out since I was digging in the middle of the dash anyways. I found out that the previous owner of my car had just unplugged one connector.

I took the module apart and soldered the two terminals together, disabling the systems again and then plugged my module completely back in.

When you unplug this module you actually lose more functionality than you think. After plugging it in I have dash lights that I have never seen since I have owned my car. Its in key on engine off mode, previously nothing would be lit up... Shady. Do things without shortcuts.

Old 06-10-2012, 09:33 PM
Teching In

Black: all I can say is... That sucks... and the three lights u dont wana see at all. Wow, shady is dead on. Thanks for the input. Ur probably right about just goin the ol' manual switching. Sounds less complicated and far less invasive.
Old 06-10-2012, 09:46 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by muSSel
Black: all I can say is... That sucks... and the three lights u dont wana see at all. Wow, shady is dead on.
Yeah, no I don't have any problems, what I was trying to explain is when you turn your key on but don't start it, those lights should be on. Mine never were til I plugged the module back in.

No problem, just using the switch is way simpler.
Old 06-10-2012, 10:05 PM
Teching In

Gotcha.... My mistake.
Old 06-11-2012, 07:10 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

There seems to be some misunderstanding about DRLs, parking lights and automatic headlights. There are two filaments in the front amber lights (this has nothing to do with the side marker lights). The DRLs and turn signals use the bright filament and the parking lights use the dim filament. They run on completely separate circuits. So you can disable the DRLs using either the cut and splice wires method or the terminal solder method and you will still have amber parking lights when the headlights and/or parking lights are on.

The automatic headlights are also handled separately so you can keep them regardless of whether you disable DRLs or not. Conversely, you can disable automatic headlights without regard to whether you have your DRLs working or not.

People turn on their headlights during the day when it's raining both for safety and because it's the law in many states. That's one reason you still have a switch. Another would be for when it's daylight but there's fog or wildfire smoke limiting visibility (so others can see you).

Quick Reply: Day time runing lights